Chapter 21 A Dark Turn

Start from the beginning

          With a gasp of realization, Bluepaw bounded forward, her sisters bringing up the rear, eyes shining in anticipation.

          "I, Fogstar, leader of Rustclan, call upon my warrior ancestors to look down on these three apprentices. They have trained hard to understand the ways of your noble code, and I commend them to you as warriors in their turn," Fogstar looked down at the young cats, pride in his eyes. "Mistpaw, Jaypaw, and Bluepaw, do you promise to uphold the warrior code and to protect and to defend this clan, even at the cost of your lives?"

          "I do," Jaypaw said, holding her head high and tail quivering in anticipation,

          "I do," mewed Mistpaw, her voice ecstatic with excitement,

          "I do!" Bluepaw mewed, almost on the verge of yowling, her shoulders stiffened with excitement and surprise.

          Watersplash suppressed a purr of amusement as she watched her old apprentice.

          "Then by the powers of Starclan I give you your warrior names. Jaypaw, from this moment on you will be known as Jaysong. Starclan honors your intellect and skills. Mistpaw, you will be known as Mistshadow. Starclan honors your bravery. And Bluepaw, from know on you shall be known as Bluestorm. Starclan honors your quick-thinking and courage," Fogstar mewed as he touched noses with each of the new warriors.

          Watersplash was the first to yowl the warriors' new names to the sky. "Jaysong! Mistshadow! Bluestorm!" Soon the entire clan took up the chant and Watersplash's heart filled with pride until it felt it would burst!

          "I have one more announcement to make!" Fogstar called. Soon, everyone had quieted and he spoke again. "It has come time to name the new deputy of Rustclan."

          Fogstar stopped speaking for a moment to allow a bit of silence, in tribute to the deaths of Beyrlstar and Pumatooth.

          "I say these words before the body of Beyrlstar, that he may hear and approve my choice!" Fogstar took in a deep breath, and to everyone else, he appeared to have perfect composure, but to Watersplash, it was easy to see that he was nervous and struggling.

          "The new deputy of Rustclan will be Tawn," Fogstar called out.

           The leader of the Resistance looked shocked and nervous, and Watersplash padded over to her silently and mewed, "You'll make a great deputy!"

           Tawn glanced at her in surprise, but slowly nodded. "I accept," she mewed, and a cheer sounded from the clan.

          Honestly, Watersplash felt relieved. She was happy she hadn't been picked. She wasn't ready to be a leader, especially since it was so hard to make decisions for herself already! Soon the clan was dismissed, and Watersplash hurriedly bounded over to Bluestorm.

           The silvery she-cat was just finishing her congratulations to her former apprentice when Fogstar padded up behind her. "We're having a meeting in my den," he mewed, his voice troubled. Watersplash gave Bluestorm a parting flick on the shoulder, then followed Fogstar into the leader's den.

          Inside was Snowfrost, Tawn, Flameclaw, and Hawkfire, along with herself and Fogstar. Hawkfire cut right to the chase.

          "So what're we gonna do now?" she asked grouchily. Watersplash flicked her ears in confusion, and saw Snowfrost mouth, Blood.

          "Isn't it obvious?" Flameclaw said. "Attack Deathclan!" he finished when no one else answered.

          "Well easier said than done!" Snowfrost scoffed.