Chapter 18 New Recruit

Watersplash walked backwards cautiously as the Deathclan warriors glared at her. "So.... um.... you guys having fun taking over the world?" Watersplash asked sheepishly. "It's been fun," one of the she-cats hissed. "Well.. um, good for you..... BYE!" Watersplash yowled as she turned and fled.

          The silvery she-cat bounded through the forest, panting, the Deathclan warriors right on her paws. Fogmask just take your time! Watersplash thought sarcastically.

          Then, a gray pelt flashed in front of her. Fogmask and Watersplash barreled into each other, landing disoriented on the grass. "What in the name of-!?" Fogmask begun but cut off when the Deathclan warriors rushed toward them.

          "Go!" Watersplash yowled, pushing him. They bounded over tree stumps and whisked through the undergrowth, burrs catching to their pelts. Watersplash breathed heavily in effort, their pursers showing no sign of letting up. Watersplash's head snapped over to look at the Deathclan warriors. The next thing she knew, Watersplash was rolling on the ground, front paws wrapped in thistles.

           She huffed and growled, trying to pry the thistles' off her paws. Fogmask bounded in front of her, baring his teeth. But Watersplash knew he couldn't take them alone.

           The Deathclan warriors and Fogmask stared at each other, hissing and growling, daring the other to make the first move.

          The patrol leader apparently didn't have much patience. He snarled and leaped, Fogmask rearing up to meet him claw to claw. But before he could, a light russet pelt intercepted the patrol leader, pinning him to the ground.

           Watersplash let out a gasp. "Scarletstar!" she yowled. The Snowclan leader flicked an ear in acknowledgment, still pinning the Deathclan tom.

           A ferocious  battle cry sounded out as three more Snowclan warriors bounded out of the bushes. The Snowclan warrior lined up in battle formation, awaiting orders from their leader. "Attack!" Scarletstar yowled, driving her claws into the Deathclan leader.

          As the battle started, Fogmask rushed over to Watersplash and helped her untangle her paws. He gave her a warm nod and plunged into the battle.

          Watersplash noticed a lone Deathclan warrior streaking back towards Rustclan camp. She snarled and bounded after him, leaving the others behind. The tom stumbled through the brush, stepping carelessly on thistles and yelping in pain as he ran.

          Ha! That tom is more unstable than a one-legged badger! she thought. He's not a total mousebrain though, he knows the shortcut to camp! Watersplash veered off toward the left, bounding through the undergrowth.

           Ahead of her, the tom stopped and looked back, thinking he had lost the she-cat. Think again! Watersplash thought as she crawled silently through the brush until she was in front of him. The tom relaxed, breathing a sigh of relief.

          She burst out of the bushed, screeching in fury. Watersplash landed on the tom, hissing, her claws sinking into his neck fur.

          "What was your patrol doing here!?" she snarled, sinking her claws in deeper. The tom shrieked in fear, and Watersplash noticed that he was only about a half a moon older than an apprentice. The tom's fear scent jolted her out of her thoughts, and Watersplash noticed a small pool of blood forming, trickling from the tom's neck.

          Watersplash recoiled in shock, drawing her claws away. I was about to kill him....! she thought in horror. I'm becoming just like Blood.... she thought as the tom stared at her in fear.

          "What is your name?" she asked softer, trying not to scare him. If he's not like Jay and Claw, maybe I can bring him over to the resistance side... she thought.

          "Soot-Sootshadow," he stammered.

          "What was your patrol doing here in Rustclan territory?" she asked.

          Sootshadow looked at her in fear. Watersplash felt her stomach sink. Her father might enjoy being respected by fear, but Watersplash would rather be respected because she had earned it.

          "I'm not going to hurt you... well anymore than I already have," she muttered apologetically.

           Sootshadow still looked hesitant, so Watersplash said, "You know what Deathclan is doing is wrong," she urged. "Tell me, so we can stop him," she said.

          Sootshadow took a deep breath and said, "We came here on an ambush mission... Our goal was to kill at least one of the sisters, and take the other one hostage if we could," Sootshadow muttered.

           His eyes widened in shock as he noticed her silver pelt for the first time. "You! You're one of the sisters!"

          Watersplash let out a sigh and said, "Woo, me,"

           "Blood always said kindness is weak...." Sootshadow murmured. "But now... now I see that being kind isn't weak, it's stronger than being a killer!"

          Sootshadow stood as best as he could, Watersplash wincing as she saw the damage she had done to his neck. "I'll join the rebellion," he decided.

           "Welcome to the good side, we have catmint!" Watersplash purred.

                                                              *  *  *  *  *  *  *

           Watersplash helped Sootshadow back to the battlefield, cobwebs lining his throat. Fogmask came running through the bushes and nuzzled Watersplash purring in relief. "I thought you'd been catnapped again!" he said. Watersplash rolled her eyes and said, "Once was enough, thanks!"

          Fogmask noticed Sootshadow and let out a growl. "Is this a prisoner?" he asked.

        Watersplash shook her head, smiling. "This is our newest member of the rebellion,"

          Fogmask gave Sootshadow a disapproving sniff, but nodded.

           They bowed their heads to Scarletstar and the rest of the Snowclan cats, the Deathclan warriors being guarded and covered in many wounds. "Thank you for helping us, and taking the Deathclan warriors prisoner," Watersplash mewed to Scarletstar.

          "Well I couldn't just let them prance around on my territory, now could I?" Scarletstar said in amusement, Watersplash grinning sheepishly.

          "You best get back to your territory," a white she-cat named Snowflame, mewed. "Yes, we'll take things from here," Scarletstar mewed.

          "Thanks again, and may Starclan guide your paws," Fogmask said and dipped his head in farewell.

          As they turned to leave, one of the Deathclan warriors, a pitch black she-cat snarled.

"Sootshadow, you traitor! Your blood will be the one I seek first! May you die in pain!" she yowled. Sootshadow's ears fell and he grimaced. "You're no son of mine!" she yowled as they walked away.

          Sootshadow looked despondently at the ground and Fogmask gave him a comforting look. The three walked back toward the Rustclan camp, sun striking high in the sky. But despite the sun's warmth, the cold of Leaf-fall overcame it, just as Watersplash feared Deathclan would do to the clans.