Chapter 13 Return of the Hated

Watersplash awoke with a screech, paws flailing. All the warriors looked at her. "Sorry...." Watersplash muttered.

          "You better be!" Hawkfire huffed.

          "Ya, what's the deal Watersplash?" Rainclaw asked

          "She probably just had a nightmare you guys. Get back to sleep," Fogmask murmured.

          A coupled of the cats muttered, but soon the den was filled with quiet once again. Fogmask looked at Watersplash with concern. "Are you ok?" he asked. "Uh... ya. I'm fine," Watersplash answered, distracted.

          She sniffed the cool air. "How long did I sleep?" she asked. Fogmask purred. "The whole day mousebrain! You must've been really tired!" he purred. When she didn't join in, he looked at her. "You sure you ok?" he asked.

          "Wha-? Oh, ya I'm fine. I just need some fresh air," Watersplash mewed apologetically as she left the den and padded out into the forest. 

         "That was one crazy dream!" Watersplash said to herself. I wonder if it was real, or just my imagination.....  Watersplash thought as she sat down at the edge of the stream. Watersplash looked up at the stars. "I wonder if you're up there, Frost," she muttered.

          She sighed and rested her head on her paws. Then, a faint sound drifted through the air. "What is that?" Watersplash asked herself. She padded silently through the dark trees. As she got closer, a loud yowl broke the silence. Watersplash pricked her ears. She could faintly hear thuds on the ground and swishes in the leaves.

          Watersplash gasped as she realized what was going on. She pelted through the trees, leaping over tree stumps and rocks that got in her way. Then, suddenly, she was in the middle of a battlefield.

          She swerved as a cat was thrown her way. She recognized the brown pelt and recoiled. "Spiritwing!" Watersplash gasped. The brown she-cat's pelt was streaked with blood and dirt. Spiritwing coughed and looked up at Watersplash.

          "Watersplash! Bl-Black-Blackshadow.." Spiritwing murmured weakly. "It's gonna be ok!" Watersplash yowled as she tried to stop Spiritwing's bleeding. Watersplash reached for cobwebs when claws as sharp as thistles grabbed her tail. Watersplash let out a startled yelp and turned to see the black pelt and cold eyes of Blackshadow.

          "You!" Watersplash growled as she launched herself up at him. Blackshadow let out a startled screech as he was pinned to the ground.

         "What are you doing here you foxheart!" Watersplash growled. Blackshadow smiled a wolfish grin. "Getting revenge on you!"

          "Watersplash! Behind you!" Come Echofire's familiar voice. Watersplash let go of Blackshadow's pelt and tried to swerve, but his paws tripped her and she lost her balance as a dark gray pelt landed on her.

          "Ashclaw!" Watersplash yowled. Watersplash turned her head, looking for Echofire. She glimpsed the russet she-cat trying to reach her but being barred by Rockshadow, then claws digging into her pelt brought her back to the battle.

          Blackshadow and Ashclaw loomed over her, their weight more than enough to keep her down. Ashclaw smirked at her and Blackshadow dug his claws into her sides. "I don't care what Blood and Icestar say," Blackshadow snarled. "I'm going to kill you right now!" he yowled.

          Ashclaw and Blackshadow sunk their teeth into Watersplash's neck fur and she let out a screech. Then, a russet pelt launched herself onto Ashclaw, tearing him off Watersplash.

          Without the extra support, Watersplash kicked Blackshadow off and slashed his muzzle, trying not to pay attention to the blood dripping down her chest fur.

          Watersplash barely registered the two dark gray pelts flashing past her and into the brush. Echofire bounded up beside her, and the two she-cats waited, ready for Blackshadow's next strike. He eyed the two warily, and, seeing he was outnumbered, turned and fled into the brush.

          With the threat gone, Watersplash's legs buckled, and she sank to the ground. "Watersplash! You ok?" Echofire asked anxiously. "I'm fine.." Watersplash gasped out. "Spiritwing's worse," Watersplash finished.

          Echofire's eyes stretched wide. "Spiritwing!" she yowled as she bounded to her friend's side. Watersplash heaved herself and limped over to the she-cat's side.

          "Spiritwing...." Echofire sobbed. "I already lost Pumatooth, I cant lose you too!" Echofire wailed. Spiritwing opened her eyes with effort. "Watersplash, Starclan has told me of your destiny as I go to join them," Spiritwing mewed. "What?" Watersplash asked, astonished.

          Spiritwing turned her eyes to Echofire, barely acknowledging Watersplash anymore. "Echofire, I will see you in Starclan, my friend," Spiritwing said and her eyes closed, for the last time.

          Echofire let out a wail and buried her head in her paws. Watersplash bowed her head.

          After  what seemed like eternity, Echofire let out a murmur. "This is all my fault," she said. Watersplash looked at her, astonished. "I couldn't sleep, so I told Spiritwing that we should go and patrol the Shatteredclan border...... " Echofire mewed. "And this is what happened!" she wailed.

          Watersplash rested her tail on Echofire's shoulder. "Hey, it's not your fault! You were just trying to do the right thing," she mewed comfortingly. Echofire said nothing, her ears low and her tail drooping.

          "Let's get Spiritwing back to camp," Watersplash mewed softly. She was about to heft Spiritwing's body onto her shoulder when Echofire spoke. "No. I'll do it. She was my best friend," Echofire mewed. "And besides," she said as Watersplash protested, "You need to be careful with your throat.

          Watersplash nodded and the two she-cats padded back to the camp, dark rising to dawn, the birds chirping. How ironic Watersplash thought. The saddest moment, at the happiest of times.

   So, Blackshadow has returned! How will the clan treat Spiritwing's death? When will Shatteredclan and Bloodclan strike next? Find out in chapter 14!