First Practise

"Alright, is everyone here?" I called, glancing down at the list of names in front of me. I grimaced at how few there were, but Roderich said it would be alright...

"Excellent. Now everyone stand with your sections. Sopranos in the middle, altos... well, alto, next to them, tenors and countertenors behind the sopranos and baritones and basses behind the alto." Roderich continued, talking as if it were a large mass in front of him rather than eleven very confused students.

I groaned. "Okay, who remembers what their range was?"

Matthew and Toris were the only two that raised their hands. Great.

Roderich somehow seemed to have infinite patience and he took my list. "Sopranos: Raivis and Katyusha. Alto: Natalya. Countertenors: Toris, Matthew, Ivan, Tino and myself. Tenors: Eduard, Gilbert, and Francis. Baritone: Ludwig. Bass: Berwald. Was anyone's name not listed?" No response. "Good. Now get into the positions I just instructed and for god's sake try to remember this time."

They all finally got into the proper positions.

"Any questions before we begin?" I asked. Gilbert raised his hand. "Yes, Gilbert?"

"When are we going to start singing?"

I closed my eyes. Lord give me strength.

"As soon as everyone is situated. Any other questions?"

Nothing.

"Excellent. Now we can begin the warmup." I sighed.

After a brief warmup, Roderich passed around sheet music.

"Does everyone know how to read sheet music?" he asked. A chorus of 'no's followed and we both groaned. "Right. Then I'll just play all of the parts on the piano before we start. Sound good?"

"You know what? Let's just call it a day." I suggested, already getting a migraine. From the looks of it, Roderich isn't doing much better.

"Alright. Everyone remember your ranges and try to keep your voices warmed up. Dismissed."