Sorting

I tapped my pen against the table excitedly as I watched the clock on the wall. I said that I would sort potential choir members by their voice ranges at seven o'clock.

"Eduard, I think you can open the door now." Roderich tried.

"It is six fifty nine! I said it would start at seven!" I said stubbornly.

Roderich sighed and buried his face in his hands.

"Three... two... one... now you may open the door."

"Thank you, your majesty." Roderich said sarcastically before opening the door and leading the first person inside. I smile.

"Good evening, Raivis."

"Good evening, Eduard..." Raivis squeaked.

"No need to be nervous. I just want to know what pitch your singing voice is." I chuckled softly.

Raivis nodded.

"So you need to sing something." Roderich said impatiently.

"O-oh. Right." Raivis said sheepishly before singing a brief tune in Latvian that I didn't recognise. Still, it was enough for me to know his range.

"Soprano."

"B-but I thought I was a tenor!"

"Raivis, I'm a tenor and your voice is a hell of a lot higher than mine." I sighed.

"Oh... okay.... countertenor?"

"Raivis."

"Sorry..." Raivis mumbled before slipping out of the room. I sighed and mark down 'soprano' by his name.

"I have to admit I'm impressed. I didn't know what a countertenor was at his age." Roderich chuckled.

Toris stepped into the room next.

"Countertenor." I said immediately.

"But-"

"You sang to Raivis and I when we were children. I know that you're a countertenor." I explained.

"Oh. Well... okay." Toris said before stepping out of the room.

Natalya was next in line. After she sang a brief song, I marked down 'alto' by her name. This continued until I had about a dozen people in the group.

"Okay, send the next one in." I said.

"There is no one else." Roderich said.

"B-but we can't have a choir with twelve people!"

"Thirteen. I'm joining too." Roderich assured.

"Very helpful. Still, it's going to sound terrible!" I whined.

Roderich sighed and walked over to me, placing his hands on my shoulders.

"Eduard, it will be fine. We can do this together." he said gently, his eyes glinting with pride at the challenge.

I hesitated, then nodded.

"Okay. Together."