ONE

A deal bred on the idea of change.

It was cold yet it was warm, foreign yet familiar. Everything seemed to be stuck in the middle, unable to pick a side. But one thing was for sure, she felt peaceful. As if she were floating in an endless void. In part, that was true. But there was something bothering her.

❝ WHY THE HELL AM I ALIVE?! ❞

Sakura kicked around in frustration, which only resulted in her spinning aimlessly like a pinwheel. It seemed like days she had been there–years even. She didn't know, time had no meaning to her anymore. One moment Sakura was coughing up blood by the pint then it's an endless void full of silence and pretty blue streams of stuff.

Where in the world—no where in the universe was she? Is she even actually anywhere? Questions muddled her mind as she righted herself and crossed her arms indignantly and puffed her cheeks. When she had died, she didn't know what to expect. Afterlife? Nah. She didn't want that if all her memories were still stuck with her. But somehow she ended up with exactly what she didn't want, like the gods chose her to suffer.

Was she in purgatory...?

It made sense. She was suffering because she couldn't save them all, because she was weak. Yeah, she could split the ground in two with her bare fists, but that didn't mean she was strong mentally or emotionally. Sakura sighed, eyes watching the streams of sparkly blue stuff float by as if in a river. What was she to do here? Think about everything she's done and cry?

Haruno Sakura.

A booming voice echoed throughout the expanse, causing the female to gasp in surprise. A voice? Was this the kami? Was she finally being judged?

The voice seemed to chuckle as if reading her thoughts. Sakura swiveled her head around in every direction trying to find the source of this mysterious person.

Do you believe in second chances, Sakura?

Second chances? Why would she be asked about second chances? Sakura furrowed her brows in confusion as she stared downwards.

❝ Of course, but I don't understand why you're asking me. I'm pretty sure I'm dead. ❞

It was silent a moment. Silence...something she used to crave had now become something she despised with all she had.

Would you like me to change that?

The question caught her off guard. Give her a second chance...? Her brows furrowed even further as she thought about it.

❝ What are you saying? That you'll give me a second chance at life? ❞

An object appeared in front of her—a scroll.
Yes, a second chance at life. But I have a mission for you, Sakura, should you accept.

❝ No. ❞

Sakura pushed away the scroll and crossed her legs. She had made her decision immediately. There was no reason to go back to that hellhole.
n-no?
the voice stuttered in disbelief. This was a first for the god—if that's what they were.
why not?
Curiosity filled their voice, seeming to lean in. Sakura imagined that they had their head in their palm, looking at her with interest. Sakura sighed.
❝ I died for a reason, Kami-san. ❞
A far off look drained her emerald hues of any light that was remaining  as she stared into nothingness. She felt tired, like she was being weighed down by the things she thought she left behind. It was silent again, painfully so. Sakura couldn't sense the presence of whoever was speaking to her and honestly, she was afraid. Had they left? Was she stuck in the silence again?