Chapter 6 - Wishes

Childhood should be carefree, playing in the sun; not living a nightmare in the darkness of the soul. - Dave Pelzer, A Child Called "It"

Monday 4th November

It was the morning of the first day back at school after Avi's week off, having been demanded to stay home to assist his father's assistants with filing papers. The weather around the city was progressively getting colder but the temperature remained a steady sixty-five degrees in a certain black Mercedes. Through it's tinted windows, a pair of emerald eyes looked fixedly out at the passing buildings, trees and people on their way to work.

Avi wished for nothing more than to join the mass, to move as one with the throng of people, to disappear. Instead he was sat in silence on the cars leather seat, with nothing but his thoughts to keep him company.

Right now his mind were on his...friends? No, friends was not the correct terminology, they were merely kids in his class. He had no doubt that, while the other four were slowly building friendly relationships with one another, they still looked to him as the quiet freak in the corner. Especially after his little episode the other week when he had tried to stop the craziness from escalating.

He didn't really know what he had been thinking, he had acted purely on instinct, only wanting to help their poor teacher who looked absolutely lost. Avi was surprised how well his plan had actually worked out, especially when Scott had managed to finish all the questions while sitting next to him. Hey, maybe he had begun to make one friend in the youngest boy.

The little one had come up to him on his last day and handed him a small drawing. It was not bad for someone his age, if a little confusing as to what was going on. From what he could make out it was a cartoon version of him in bed with a bubble showing what he supposedly was dreaming of.

In his dreams he was riding a dragon to rescue a blonde girl from a tower. Avi had wondered how Scott had guessed he really liked dragons, but then realised it was probably because all they ever saw him reading was Game of Thrones. In the drawing there were also strange looking creatures that seemed to be guarding the blonde girl. He could make out a troll that had Kevin's same hairstyle and a giant snake with piercings that was wrapped around the tower. For himself, Scott appeared to have drawn himself as a t-rex in the background who seemed to have no relevance to what was actually going on but was happy all the same.

"What are you smiling at boy?" a sudden harsh voice growled in his ear.

Shit, I didn't even realised I had been. What is wrong with me?

His father was a man short in stature, and even shorter in temper. He was a businessman by nature and had an eye for details. He was also a man consumed by hatred for his son.

A bow of his head in submission was Avi's instant reply.

"Are you thick? Did that answer my question?"

No Sir. Sorry Sir, he shook his head ferociously, making himself seem as apologetic as possible.

"Oh so we're still avoiding the question I see. Got something to hide from me have you boy? Keeping secrets from your own father now."

Avi had no reply. He could actually talk to his father if it was really demanded of him, but there was nothing he could say now that would stop his father's onslaught. And anyway, if he did actually speak his father would most likely tell him to shut up before he got any further than the first syllable. He could only be grateful that his father was driving, so wouldn't be able to lash out at him. Then again, that hadn't stopped him before, but that had been a long time ago and Avi had been a lot smaller.

"You good for nothing piece of shit."

He wished he could be a man. He wished he could just tell his father to shut the hell up and seal his vile mouth shut for eternity.

"Ungrateful boy."

He wished he was brave enough to leave home and never look back. He wished he wasn't so weak and could find the strength to stand up to his tormentor.

"Spoilt fucking brat."

He wished that his mom had never died in childbirth. He wished he could go back and stop himself being born and just make everyone lives easier.

"Just you wait till later."

He could wish all he wanted, but Avi had learned in his short life that it doesn't matter how hard or how much you wish for something, dreams rarely come true.

The car suddenly came to an abrupt halt and Avi had never been more relieved to see the school gates in his entire life. In fact his excitement lead to him making another grave mistake.

"Did I say you could get out?"

Avi shook his head timidly. What is wrong with me today? I'm just asking for a beating.

"Pathetic. Get the fuck out of my sight," his father spat out, giving him a hard shove out the passenger door.

The teen fell to his knees on the sidewalk outside the school, quickly scrambling up before anyone saw him, and turned to watch the black car speed away, blowing up dust in his direction. He blinked his eyes shut hard, he wasn't going to cry. He couldn't let his emotions take over now. Tears were only for weak men.

He began scurrying across the yard. He was later than usual - due to his father giving him a lift on his way to a client meeting for no other reason than needing someone to take his anger out on - and that meant there was a much higher risk of running into Toby and his gang of jerks.

He was nearly at the entrance to his building when-

"Hey Kaplan!"

Well shit.

Avi quickened his pace hoping to make it inside before they caught up with him. He still refused to break into a run though; he wasn't about to be seen running from the enemy with his tail between his legs. He heard their laughter and hissed as a sharp pain shot through his right elbow.

Throwing rocks? Really? I didn't realise we still lived in the middle ages.

The barbarians kept pelting stones and cans at him, but still Avi maintained only a brisk walk. Only once he was inside, did he allow himself to break into a run, charging up the stairs like a boy possessed and sprinting though the halls to his classroom.

By the time he reached his destination he was sweating and felt as though his heart would give out if he ran any further. And yet something about seeing the familiar door sent a strange feeling tingling through his spine. It was a feeling that was quite foreign to the boy. It was a feeling of safety.

Congrats to Scott on his new future niece/nephew! My own little one has just started learning to pull himself onto his feet..God help me! ;p