End of The Road

There is a few moments silent, before the doctor, dressed in blue, clears his throat. I put my hands on my stomach and pray that the baby is still alive. Even though I'm not adopting it, I can't bear the thought of possibly having to tell the possible parents that they won't be getting a baby.

"Is the baby okay?" I mutter.

"We are going to take you for an ultrasound now, but we won't know until then." The doctor says.

He brings in a wheelchair and I get into it. I'm taken to the room and I block my eyes and squeeze my eyes shut to avoid disappointment. The gel is squeezed on my stomach an I feel the stick moving around. I dare ope my eyes or take away my hands from my ears, and I'm successful. After 15 minutes, I'm taken back to my room and my mom is there with my brother.

"Where's dad?" I ask as my mom and the doctor help me back on the bed.

"He was in a meeting and couldn't get out." My mom says.

"Who did this to you?" Terry demands.

"Terry. Calm down, it was an accident." I say.

"Mrs Harris, Terry, there's something I should tell you." Mr chimes says.

"What?" my brother says.

"I'm in love with Ella. I love her so much and I can't bear the thought that we can't be together. I have never loved anyone this much and if I ever lost her, I would loose myself. I want to be with her, but the law is in the way." Mr Chimes says.

Is what I hoped he was going to say when he announced he needed to say something.

"Well? What is it Mr Chimes?" my mom asks.

"I have been getting close to Ella. Not in that way, but Ella really enjoys tuition and her grades have improved so much since I became he teacher. She told me that you and your husband admitted that you no longer wanted her to come to my apartment for tuition, but I would never let any harm come to her. I would never myself harm her. Please, don't stop her from going." Mr Chimes pleads.

Could he be more obvious about me and him?

"If Ella is happy and her grades are getting better, then by all means, she can go." My mom says.

"I hate to break this up, but I have your results." the doctor from before says.

An deafening silence fills the room.

"Ella, the blow to your stomach had too much impact and has made the placenta rupture. There is absolutely noting we can do. The baby should come away soon and until then, we need to keep you in." the doctor says.

The doctor leaves and I silently weep. My mom and brother console me and in the corner of my eye,  I notice Mr Chimes trying to leave.

"Hey, where do you think you're going?" I say.

"Excuse me?" says Mr Chimes.

"You supported me when I told you I was raped. You supported me through the trial. You supported me through the process of my speech. Are you just gonna leave me here?" I say.

"She's just in shock." My mom says with her arms still around me.

I push her away.

"No mom, I'm not." I say.

"Ella. You should be with your family. I'm just you're teacher." He says.

Oh, the amount inside me that wants to blurt out 'but you're not, you're basically my boyfriend!', but I can't. He would be arrested.

"You are the only man I trust in my life." I say.

"Hey." says Terry.

I look at him then back to Mr Chimes.