The One Where I Get A Roommate

Beacon Hills.

Land of the suppressed, home of the unadventurous.

In the few short minutes that I have been in this town, that much is obvious. The only sign of life I have seen so far was the sign on the outskirts of the woods:

Beacon Hills Welcomes You!

Pop: 4,224

Rain beats down on the roof of the car, pounding against the metal in a relentless pattern that runs repeatedly through my head. Pa-dum dum, pa-dum dum, pa-dum dum, only pausing as we pass under a tree. Which was quite often, due to the enormous forest at the base of the mountains surrounding Beacon Hills. From what I read through my research of the place, the town itself was nestled at the foot of the mountains surrounded by nothing but the Beacon Hills Preserve, containing nothing of relevance but something called the Magical Falls. Or was is the Mystic Falls? It didn't make a difference to me what it was called, I wasn't planning on staying in the place longer than a couple of months. Maybe a couple of weeks, it depends on how quickly I can get expelled and shipped back home.

Though home never was much of a home. San Diego. The mere thought of it makes me want to cry. I live for the adventure and the life that the city brings, and though I want nothing more than to return to that life, I don't want to return to the people. The people who cast me out, who drove me from myself. I don't want to be a part of them anymore. I just want to get lost in the beauty that is my city. Not shipped up the country to live in the mountains where the nearest town is 35 miles away. Dad seems to think that is the solution to the, err—adjustments—in my behavior.

I glance over at him now. He is focused on the road, eyes squinting with every burst of rain that hits the windshield, trying to see through the darkness, every few seconds turning his head faintly to each side, yet always refusing to look directly at me. This is how it has been since The Incident. A permanent frown etched upon his face, refusing to look me in the eye, shaking his head in his way of saying "I expected more from the daughter of an FBI agent." Eventually enough became enough, and suddenly I was packing my bags and buckling myself in his old Suburban.

I force myself to turn away from him, not wanting to dwell on bad memories any longer. A part of me is relieved that I won't have to live in his brooding presence, constantly being thrown disapproving looks. But a bigger part of me is apprehensive, having to live with a mother and twin brother I haven't seen in almost ten years. I almost prefer the unloving father to the invisible mother.

I shift my arm from where I was resting it above the door handle, positioning it under my chin. I let out an inaudible sigh and try to see through the obscured window. Rain is running in sheets down the glass, and the sound of the drops hitting the metal rooftop once again form a pattern in my head. Pa-dum dum, pa-dum dum, pa-dum dum. The trees are bare, save for a few leafs here and there that have out-lasted the winter snow. Fallen leaves coat the ground, with patches of snow delicately lain across them. I make a little game with myself, staring at the trees and trying to focus through the rain. We round a corner, and I see two huge trees with branches that tower over the road. My eyes follow the trunks back to their roots, where two bright red dots stare out at me.

I almost jump out of my seat.

My seatbelt catches me around the throat, choking me and forcing me back into the leather. The car swerves to the left and then quickly rights itself on the proper side of the road. Dad swears under his breath and grips the steering wheel.

"What the hell, Emma?" Usually his accusatory tone makes me wince in fear, but not this time.

"Did you see that?!" I twist my head back around so fast I almost get whiplash. I squint my eyes and peer through the two big trees.