Prologue

C H A P T E R Z E R O - PROLOGUE

Jack's POV

Her body. Her silhouette. It was pushed against mine. Her face was nuzzled between my head and my shoulder. The Devil Wears Prada was still playing on the tv in the background. It was her favorite movie. It was Scarlett's too. Scarlett McAllister. I remember the smell of her long wavy brown hair - coconut. And the taste of her lips - mint. And the small quirks she did like biting her nails or twirling her hair. I also remember the day we got together, and the day we had our first fight, and the day we took a break, forever.

I gently pushed the girl that was laying on me, aside. I walked out of the bed and went over to the tv remote control, pushing the pause button. If I could have pressed the pause and rewind button on Scarlett's and my relationship, I would have. If only. My heart started to melt as I got back in bed with Louise. Louise Sawyer. She had long wavy brown hair. But it smelt of strawberries, not the coconut that I had begun to love.

It all started on a winter's night in December. Our teeth were chattering from the cold outside. The whole tenth grade was on a field trip. I didn't know who Scarlett was at the time, but I knew the name. She was said to be the smart girl who sat in the back of the classroom. She was said to be pretty too. I had imagined her to be a short figure with some nerdy glasses and braces, but when she and I were introduced, I swear my heart skipped a beat. Her eyes, they were green. They sparkled, even in December. She extended her hand and I did the same. We talked a bit and laughed. She knew about me. She knew about my funny ways.

I was the schools funny class clown. I had all the girls attention, but I didn't really care to be called a man whore, so I had only really dated one girl up until Scarlett. The way her hair fell against her face, and the way she rubbed her hands together trying to bring in warmth. And the way she would smirk at me, when she thought I was trying to flirt with her.

That evening everyone was already up in their assigned hotel rooms, when I heard feet walking outside of mine. It was pacing back and forth. It was Scarlett. She asked me if she could stay in my room, because her hotel roommate was smoking a cigarette and blasting music in her room. Scarlett was just trying to sleep. I told her that it was fine. She stayed in my room on the couch that night while I slept on the bed. Walter Demsworth, my hotel roomie, joked with me after that.

After that, Walter stayed with her roommate while she stayed with me. Eventually the school board found out though. The next time I saw her was on the plane back to America. She sat down beside me and put in her headphones. She started to lip sync to the music, yet she didn't know that I could actually hear her sing. She had a horrible voice, but it was cute.

We accidentally touched on that plane ride and when I removed my hand, she kept hers there. We looked up at each other and smiled. Her cheeks were red and mine were too. It was the first time we actually had real affection towards each other.

The next few weeks after the field trip, we ate lunch together and she came to my house and played video games. She was weird, and different. But I liked her. She wasn't like the other girls, she didn't drool over me - and I liked that. On April 1st, I asked her to go steady with me. I didn't realize it was April Fools Day until she asked me if it was a joke. But I told her it wasn't and she said yes and hugged me.

We touched for the second time, hugging. After that she would hang out with me more and my family. Anyway, one day we kissed. And it was electrical. I tasted her minty fresh breath and I looked into her eyes. Her beautiful green eyes. The ones I had seen the day I met her months ago. It was like seeing her for the first time again.

After that kiss, things got more heated, she would spend the night with me and sleep with me. We would watch The Devil Wears Prada and throw popcorn at each other. And then it came to the time when we would make out every night. But I liked it, and she did too. The girls were jealous of her, and her being able to see me every night. But she didn't care. She liked it.

One day, March 28th, of the next year, we broke up. We couldn't do it anymore. We couldn't stand the fighting, the arguing, the love. I had finally met her mom and she didn't think I was good enough for her, because she saw her grades slipping and her heart dropping. She told her to stay away from me, and she did.

It's been a whole year since our break up. I see her occasionally in school, but we don't pass words. We don't even try to look at each other. I don't even see her beautiful green eyes anymore.