The lie of Alphys

Start from the beginning

I walk to the other side of the machine and through the doorway. It was difficult to see anything. I left the room. I went back to the corridor and decided to check out the other side. The room was clouded like the other one but, it was more visible. Another panel shone through the dark. 'Entry 11: Now that Mettaton has made it big, he doesn't talk to me anymore. Except to ask when his body will be finished. I can't really work on it. I can't concentrate. Plus, I just get really sweaty when I try to.' It read. I sighed. Poor Alphys... Mettaton will be getting a chewing out later... I thought to myself. I walked to the end of the room and flicked a switch. It turned on the wall of extractor fans. Suddenly, another monster appeared. They looked like a huge puppy. We entered a fight. It was a huge melted mess of dogs. I felt so bad for them. I pressed ACT and chose to call to them. "C'mere, c'mere." I called as I tapped my knees. They approached me. I pressed ACT again and petted them. They were so happy. They laid on my lap as I stroked them. They got up and crawled on the walls, their tail wagging. *Play. I waved my stick in front of them and threw it into the back of the room. They brought it back to me and dropped it at my feet. I waved it again and threw it. I did this a few times. They became tired. *Pet. I patted one of the other heads. They were very happy. I chose Pet again. I pet them all decisively. They all smiled at me. I pressed Spare and went on my way. I went back to the other room. On the wall was another panel. 'Entry 19: The families keep asking me when everyone is coming home. What should I say? I don't answer the phone anymore. I can't take the questions.' It read. I walked down the rest of the wall and found another panel. 'Entry 20: Asgore left me five messages today. Four about how everyone was mad and one about a cute teacup he found that looked like me. Thanks, Asgore.' It read. I gave a small chuckle. I found another panel. 'Entry 21: I spend all my time at the garbage dump now. It's my element.' It read. I sighed for Alphys. I checked all of the items in the room. There were five refrigerators. I checked them all. Some had nothing in, some had a few samples in. The last one I checked shifted into another monster. Another fight ensued. It looked like a snowdrake. I told her a joke. She laughed. I told her another one and she smiled. I said another bad pun and she had calmed down. I spared her afterwards. On the floor was a blue key. I attached it to my keychain. I entered the room off of this one and saw another key slot. I put in the green key and turned it in the slot. I walked out and back to the room of beds.

I turned right in the room and found a corridor of golden flowers and mirrors. On the walls were more panels. 'Entry 7: We'll need a vessel for all of the souls when the time comes. After all, a monster can't absorb monster souls and humans can't absorb human souls. So what about something that's neither human nor monster?' The entry read. The next entry was strange. 'Entry 10: Experiments on the vessel are a failure. The result s are no different from the others. Whatever. They're a hassle to work with and they're seeds just stick to you. I moved further into the room. A line of mirrors were propped up on the wall. I stopped in front of one and a monster appeared. It was terrifying. Another fight was entered. It was scary. It looked weird. It was strange to look at. I prayed. It spared me and I spared it. I ran into the next room. It was the last one that needed a key. I took the blue key off my keychain, placed it in the slot and turned it. I left the room and went back to the big door. All of the lights were on. I opened it and went through it. It was an elevator. It had no power. I wen to the left of it and through another corridor. The had panels on but the power was off. I shrugged and went into the next room. I found the fuse box and turned on the power. Suddenly, I heard a laugh. I turned and saw all of the monster coming towards me. I couldn't move. I froze. They had cornered me. I cowered on the ground. Then, a voice called out. "Hey! Stop!" It was Alphys. "I got you guys some food, okay!?" She said. And with that, they disappeared off to go find it. I lifted my head. Alphys stretched out her hand to help me up. I took it gratefully. "Sorry about that..." She said. "They get kind of sassy when they don't get fed on time. I think they smelled the potato chips on you, and... Anyway! The power went out, and I've been trying to turn it back on! But it seems like you were one step ahead of me. This was probably just a big inconvenience for you... But I appreciate that you came here to back me up!" She said. "Of course I came down here to help you. You're my friend Alphys. This wasn't an inconvenience. It was interesting." I told her. She gave a little smile. "As I said, I was afraid I might...not come back. But that's not because of these guys or anything! I was just worried I would be too afraid...to tell the truth...that I might run away or do something...cowardly." She said sadly. "Uh...I... I suppose I owe you an explanation. As you probably know, Asgore asked me to study the nature of souls. During my research, I found a power called 'determination'. I injected dying monsters with it so I could study their souls after they died. But the experiments failed. Unlike humans, monsters don't have enough physical matter to house those concentrations of determination. They started to melt, and lost what physicality they had. Pretty soon, they all melted together, creating well...those. Seeing them like that... I couldn't tell their families. I couldn't tell anyone. No matter how many times I was asked. I was too afraid to keep working, knowing...everything I had done was a failure. But now... Now, I've changed my mind. I'm going to tell everyone what I've done. It will be difficult. But, I know that my friends will support me. Thanks." She told me. The monsters came back and looked at Alphys expectantly. "Come on, guys. It's time for everyone to go home." She said. Then, they all walked out together. Charlotte nudged my arm and we left the room. We noticed that the panels had been switched on. We read the entries. 'Entry 8: I've chosen a candidate. I haven't informed Asgore yet, as it is a surprise. In the centre of his garden is something special. The first golden flower to ever grow. I wonder...what happens when something without a soul gains the will to live?' 'Entry 18: The flower is gone." I wondered what happened. Did she succeed? Oh well. It was time to leave the lab. We entered the elevator, ready to face the last step of our journey.