4

I sat in the library on the couch reading, my legs pulled up next to me when Jay came in.

"Frank, dinner's ready."

But I didn't acknowledge him.

He stood in front of me then shut the book. "Frank?"

"No - please? I'm almost done with -"

"Pumpkin, it's dinner time. You can read again after dinner, okay?"

"Can I at least mark my spot?"

He opened the book to the page I was on and I placed the bookmark inside. He closed it again and set it down on the side table next to the couch.

"It'll be right here waiting for you."

We went to the dining room. He sat at the head of the table, I sat next to him on the side.

Just before we started eating, a knock on the front door echoed throughout the whole bottom floor.

"Wallace, would you get that, please?" Jay asked.

"Right away, sir."

Jay stared at the open dining room doors. His face was hard and his hands folded as he rested his chin on them.

Wallace came back, Gerard strolled behind him.

"Mr Way, wasn't expecting you to come by. Have a seat."

"No, I shouldn't stay. I have work to get to."

"I insist."

I knew Gerard was faking this whole situation. It what he does, and people fall for it.

"What the hell," He sat down at the other end of the table.

"Wallace, get the man some food."

When Wallace came back with a plate of food for Gerard, he thanked him and Wallace stepped out to eat as well.

"So, what's new?" Gerard asked.

"Well, that small town one must go through before entering the city is corrupted again." Jay turned to me. "Which reminds me, until they're back on their feet, I don't want you going through there alone. Even if Bob is with you. It's too dangerous for a doll like you." He rubbed my cheek.

"A doll like him, huh?" Gerard mumbled but we still heard.

Jay stared at Gerard as I kept my head down.

"Bob - what is he? The body guard?"

"Correct."

"Holy shit." Gerard leaned back in his chair. "You assigned him a body guard?"

"Mr Way, you might not have someone special but I refuse to chance harm on Frank."

"Does Frank like it?"

"If it keeps him safe."

"That's your job. You love him, you protect him."

"It's better this way!"

"Let little Frankie be the judge of that."

The attention was now on me. What was I supposed to say? I kept my head down and hoped the conversation would change. But unfortunately, it didn't.

"Frank," Jay placed his hand under my chin, lifting my head up to look at him.

"Don't do this to me. Don't drag me into this."

"Pumpkin, I need to know if you're happy with what I do to keep you safe."

"Please, Jay - don't."