Chapter Fourteen (Part One) : Fix me

The flight back was terrible. Probably worse than the one that we took coming in. I couldn't sleep, not for a second. I had never been so anxious in my entire life, theories and more theories kept building in my mind. Questions about the grave incident kept coming up in my head. I couldn't stop all the voices in my head. It couldn't have been an old rival, why would they wait till now to pull something off like this? Plus, how did they even know where my parents were buried anyway?

No, it had to be someone I knew. Someone who was close to me. Who could be capable of doing something so disgusting? I'd guess Uncle James but even he wouldn't care enough to go through the trouble, he hadn't visited the place since last year at their death anniversary and I wouldn't think he was planning on either.

Could it be Adam? It could be. He did want me to pay for rejecting him. Would he stoop so low? Attack my dead parents to hurt me? That did sound like him, being the psychopath he is. Who knew the extent he could go to hurt me?

The plane finally touched the ground and we were driven home. It was almost midnight when we got back, it was starting to drizzle. The air smelled so sweet, so refreshing, almost made coming back bearable. We strolled in with our suitcases behind, as much as Adrian refused to admit, he looked extremely tired. The bags that had disappeared in the past few days were threatening to show again.

If anxiety wasn't enough, guilt began to overcome me. I was becoming a ball of emotions and reckless decision making. The only comfort was his arms around mine as we dozed off, forgetting our problems momentarily.

The following morning, I woke up more determined than ever. Determined to find out the truth, determined to put down whoever was behind the incident. Adrian was grabbing his phone and keys just when I came out of the shower.

"Are you doing okay?" Adrian asked, as he kissed me on the forehead. His concern was heart-warming, weird how things change in a matter of days.

"Yes," I tried to sound as convincing as possible but he could see through me.

"So what's the first step?" He asked, moving towards the mirror to fix his tie. He tugged on it till it was perfectly plump.

"Well, I have to visit my parents' grave and see the damage done," I paused breathing out. "Then, I have to meet with the people who're supposed to fix it, Lucas set up a meeting this afternoon. I also have to swing by Uncle James' office and see through to the sign over of my late parents' company."

"Company?" He asked, I almost choked on the air in my throat. He made his way to the little coffee table where his white mug sat still. I turned my face towards him trying to manage a smile.

"Yeah, I'm finally eligible to own it after my birthday next week." I omitted the marriage clause. I should be honest with him, I should tell him but our relationship has just barely begun to work. How could I sabotage everything with this?

"If you want I can come with you," Adrian offered sipping his coffee. "What time are you planning on leaving?"

"You don't have to, I can go alone." I said, combing through my hair.

"Hey," he extended his arm towards me. I smiled pacing towards him, giving him my hand. He elevated my hand to meet his lips, planting a small kiss.

"You don't have to do this alone," he spoke. "Let me be there for you?" He requested as if anyone could say no to that tone. He has some serious games going on.

"Okay," I shake my head at him, smiling.

"So, I have a meeting in about thirty minutes." Adrian looked at his watch, making a face. "I can cancel it." He said, getting up from his chair to make the call. I pushed him back into the chair, making my way onto his lap.