Chapter Seven: Wedding Bells

Right foot in front of the left foot, it was meant to be really simple, only it wasn't. A thousand faces, a thousand eyes and a thousand minds were contained in this room along with their focal point: me. If it wasn't for Lucas's arm supporting my weight, my skeleton would have dissolved by now. The barely 6 yard walk had started to seem like a hike up the Great Wall of China. 

My feet were giving up on me, I dared not look anywhere but straight, scared of who I might see looking. I stole a glance at Lucas who seemed at ease. Why wouldn't he be at ease? It wasn't him walking in a four inch heel in a pure white dress about to fall any second.

"Ease up beautiful, almost there," he whispered through a tight smile. Thank the heavens for this one, I tried and regained my confidence and walked with my chin up. Just a few more steps, I told myself, just a few more.

Just when things absolutely could not have gotten worst a sharp pain rose in my feet. Damn you, Adrian.

Adrian.

I looked up straight again, trying to find the familiar pair of eyes that would be my reassurance. There they were, the grey eyes that I needed to see. A small smile appeared on my lips remembering his touch from earlier.

I closed my eyes for a fraction of a second, memorizing the feeling. I inhaled the irreplaceable smell of the Jasmine bouquet I was holding. Justin was walking a few steps ahead of me, dressed in the most adorable black suit, his bow tie sweeping all the little ladies off their feet. A melodious violin sample was being played live in some corner, I was too occupied to see where exactly. My two bridesmaids Skylar and Emily had just made their way up on the stage in their dark blue Versace dresses. They looked incomparable. Cole was the best man, dressed in a very sophisticated navy blue suit. He seemed nervous to be up there with his brother.

We had reached the edge of the stage and it was time to leave behind Lucas and join Adrian. I gave Lucas one last smile before focusing on Adrian. Lucas gave my hand a small squeeze as he let go. In front of me, Adrian had already reached out to take my hand. I placed my hand in his, it felt as the most natural thing in the world. As if this very moment was what my life was bound to come to, as if it was meant to be God's plan all along.

Our eyes met and there was something in his that made this whole moment a little special, I could see hope. For a split second all my  problems were out the window, I didn't care about anything, not about Cara, not about uncle, all I needed was this moment with Adrian to be special.

I was a little surprised when Adrian didn't let go of my hand as we took our places opposite of each other. A few bible verses were read and then the priest began to read out the vows. We hadn't written our own vows, which seemed like a very good idea right now considering the mainstream version was boring as hell.

"Do you Adrian Darkwood, take Isabella Hastings as your beloved wife?" The priest spoke, with a tiny booklet in his hand. Adrian looked in my eyes with what I like to believe was sincerity.

"I do." He breathed out, as if that was the most difficult decision he had ever made. Cara's words ran in my mind.

He will never love you.

"And do you Isabella Hastings, take Adrian Darkwood as your beloved husband?" It was my turn to declare my loyalty, to declare him my husband, to bind this relationship - if it could be called that-  in marriage. I could feel all eyes on me, waiting for my response as if I still had a choice.

I closed my eyes, it had to be done. Maybe things would be different in another life, I breathed out.

"I do." The voice came out as a whisper.