Chapter 3

"Wait!" I call after him.

He turns back around. I had no idea why I did that. I didn't even know what to say. I bit my lip and frantically thought of something to say.

"I forgot to mention that Natasha won't ever like you back." I snapped, giving him a taste of his own medicine--which would probably taste horrid. 

David shrugged. "We'll see about that." he said causually and turned back around. I rolled my eyes, not that anyone was there to see it, and shut the door. A few minutes later, someone was at the door again.

I half hoped it would be David, coming back to apologize, but I wouldn't let my fantasy get the best of me. Besides, he's a jerk. Opening the door, I was surprised to see that Jared was back.

"Hi, uh...I just wanted to returned this umbrella" he said. I smiled a little.

"Your a fail." I said grabbing his arm and pulling him inside. 

"So what'd he say?" Jared asked, putting the umbrella back in it's usual place. I shrugged. I didn't want him to know. He pulled up an eyebrow.

"Well--" he began. 

"Nothing, okay?! He said nothing! Why do you even care?" I blurted out. His head turned to me and looked me straight in the eye. I could tell from his hazel eyes that he was hurt.

"I-I'm sorry...I didn't mean it like that," I said pulling my legs against my chest and hugging them. "He asked if we could be friends and I said no. Then he just left." I explained placing my chin on my right knee. 

"I know you didn't mean it like that." He said. The doorbell rang--again. My head dropped back on the couch and I closed my eyes.

"Who is it this time?" I groaned. Jared politely answer the door for me. I could tell the rain had lightened up from listening to it.

"See you later, Payton." Jared's voice called.