- 01 -

CHAPTER ONE

"Harmony! It's 9 o'clock already and you're still in bed!" my mom screamed from downstairs.

I groaned, rolling in my bed. "It's Sunday morning ma, you should be glad I don't sleep till noon."

I didn't get a reply back as I slid off my bed shivering. It was burning hot outside just by looking out my window, but it was cold since my parents had turned on the AC.

I grabbed my hair-tie from under my pillow and pulled my hair into a bun on top of my head. I quickly pulled my shorts down and threw on my sweats that I had left on my chair last night. My throat was dried up and I noticed my eyes were red when I looked at my reflection in the mirror in my room.

Rubbing my eyes I walked down the hallway to the bathroom I shared with my sister. It took me about 15 minutes to go to the bathroom and brush my teeth.

Wiping my face on my towel, I flicked the light off and walked back into my room where I fell back onto my bed. Grabbing my phone from under my pillow, I went through the social media that I forgot to look at last night.

I heard a beeping noise from outside and I walked downstairs knowing my dad had left for work. Making my way to the kitchen, I spotted my sister at the counter pouring herself coffee.

"You do know that coffee is bad for you right?" I told her as I grabbed my mug from the top cabinet above the coffee maker. "And don't ask why I drink it."

My sister being annoying as she always turned to me with a raised eyebrow. "Why?"

"Because I'm a badass." I pulled out my fake finger gun and pretended to shoot someone.

She rolled her eyes. "You're such a loser. I wonder how you're turning seventeen this December."

I wiggled my eyebrows as I went to go sit on the couch with my coffee and phone in hand. "You're just jealous."

"Don't you have anything else to do other than being a loser?" she asked, leaning against the counter and sipping on her coffee.

I shrugged. "There's nothing I could do either way." I didn't bother looking up, keeping my eyes glued to my phone.

She didn't reply, instead I heard the door open and footsteps coming to the kitchen. "Rowena! Go wake your sister up!"

I rolled my eyes. "I'm here ma." I waved at her right when she entered the kitchen. "Why were you outside?"

She clapped her hands together and grinned. "We have new neighbours! And guess what? They're so sweet!" She didn't stay in one place as she spoke. She just picked up random plates and cups from the counter and started to wash them. "Their names are Adam and Jasylean McCarten. Jasylean is starting her job here, so that's why they moved."

"Do they have kids?" I asked.

Ma nodded. "They also have four kids, the oldest one is Amatha and she's already married, living with her husband just a few blocks away. The second oldest is Brandon, I believe, and he's going to a college near home. Maybe you should do the same."

I looked over at Rowena and we rolled our eyes.

"And lastly there are the twins, Genevieve and Jasper. They are your age honey," she continued looking up at me with a smile, "I think you'll get along with them."

I rolled my eyes once again. This is what she said last time about the old neighbours. "Ma, I don't even know them yet. How would you know I would like them? What if we're the total opposites?"