Six

Phil's POV

     I read over the texts Dan's sent me in the past few days, just now noticing how many calls I've missed. I refuse to talk to him after that day in the park.

      Some may say I'm overreacting. I don't know if I'd say that. I'm just confused. How are you supposed to react to something like that?

--

Dan's POV

      Phil hasn't replied to any of my texts.

      I don't know what to do. If he doesn't talk to me, I can't go on with the plan, which is a scary thought.

      I text Victoria, asking her if we could have an emergency meeting. She replies almost instantly, telling me to come over to the lab in about two hours.

--

      "He won't talk to me. I don't know if I should be worried yet, it's only been a few days," I tell her.

      Victoria nods in comprehension, exchanging a serious look with me from the other side of the desk.

      "Just give it time," She says calmly, "He'll come running back to you soon enough. If he still won't talk to you in a few weeks, we'll alter something so that the plan still works out."

      "Okay," I answer halfheartedly, trying to hide my guilt.

      She gives me a small smile of remorse in reply to this. "I know this must be hard for you. I'm proud of you for making it this far," She says, "You're free to go. Keep me updated on the situation with Phil."

      "I will. Goodbye," Without another word, I walk out the door of Victoria's office and into the bland white interior of the hallway.

       I continue walking towards the doors leading outside, pushing them open and breathing in the cool November air.

      My mind is a mess of thoughts as I walk home, but there's one question in particular that stands out among everything else I'm thinking:

      What have I gotten myself into?