Five

Dan's POV 

      "I'm disappointed," Victoria says harshly, "I had high hopes for you. You were doing so well. And then you went and messed things up." 

      I look down at the sterile white table in front of me in shame, a single tear falling down my cheek. "I'm sorry."

      "'Sorry' doesn't cut it. I had a plan. It was foolproof. Perfect. And then you had to go and ruin it," She shakes her head in displeasure. 

      I sigh. "I just... I couldn't do it. I couldn't bear the thought of Phil in pain. I couldn't hurt him."

      Victoria raises an eyebrow at this. "You did hurt him. Just not in the way we had thought you would."

      My eyes go wide when I realize what I'd done. "Oh no," I whisper.

      Victoria walks over and places her hand on my shoulder. "It'll be okay. I'm sure he won't be able to stay upset with you for long. Just continue with the original plan. Actually, I think this experiment might turn out even better now that you've done this," She says, "Just promise you'll never do anything like this again."

      I breathe in the cool air of the lab, my lungs filling with determination and exhaling regret. "I promise," I lie. I have to tell Phil. I've seen the plans they made for him. It was awful. He shouldn't have to live like that.

      She smiles at me. "I knew you would come around," She says sweetly, too sweetly, "You can go now. I'll see you in a few weeks?"

      I nod. "See you then," I say, standing up and walking out the door. 

      I can't believe I'm doing this. 

      --

      A/N: In case you're confused, don't worry, you didn't miss anything. It's not supposed to make sense. Not yet. You'll understand later, if you haven't figured out what's going on yet.