Chapter Six: My Personal Asassain

Start from the beginning

I gasped suddenly after a minute of dead silence, and the entire hall gasped and jumped back from their tense positions over me. My eyes flew open, and the first thing they came across was Snape. I stared into his charcoal black yes for a second, before someone dragged me upwards, holding me against them, soon joined by another.

For once, Fred and George were so entirely serious, I was afraid. They looked close to tears, holding me between them, until they were moved away, and another set of arms grabbed me. I blinked up, still achy, and found Dumbledore. His face was even more serious than the twins, hard and even pissed off. Damn.

"Someone has poisoned a students drink." He announced, and I realized the truth of it all: someone was trying to kill me. My eyes were wide, and I struggled not to run from the room. Dumbledore looked to Snape.

"Take her to Madame Pomfrey, Severus." He ordered, and without another word, a third set of hands yanked me up to my feet, these less gental but more comforting. Snape put and arm firmly around my waist and I slung my arm over his shoulders as he helped me wobble along to the nurses wing once again.

As we left the great hall, I tried to make conversation. After detention yesterday things were vey tense and awkward between us. He even refused to call on me in class for an answer. "I should have my own bed in the hospital wing." I joked, still to exhausted to actually put effort into it. Unexpectedly, Snape recoiled angrily.

His head snapped to look at me, his eyes burning with fiery passion and anger. "This is no time to joke, Chesmu! Someone is trying to assassinate you, and you make jokes!" He chastised. I flinched back, surprised and annoyed.

"I'm only trying to lighten up the moment. There's no use being a sour puss." I muttered, and he sighed, pinching the bridge of his crooked nose. I rolled my eyes. He is such a fun sucker. "Well, try and act serious for once." He snapped, and I frowned, my lower lip pouting. Meanie.

Once he caught sight of my sad face, he growled in frustration. "Stop acting like such a child." He demanded. I groaned, fed up with him telling me to grow up. He picks on kids for fun, after all. It's like some sick, twisted hobby of his to torture kids. And he calls me immature.

I slapped the side of my thigh with my one free hand. "Why? Do you want me to act like a grown up?" I pressed, suddenly intrested by my own question. Why bother with me so much? Fred and George are just as bad as me, and I never see Snape lecturing them on acting their age.

He simply scoffed. "Yes. It would make my life a lot easier."

I smirked mischievously, my old sense of humor coming back. Yet, I was also legitimately intrested. "I thought you liked my feisty nature, Snapey." I teased, his face scrunching up.

Grinding his teeth together, he spat: "Let get this straight, Chesmu- I hate you, your stupid lighthearted personality, your hideous brown hair, your annoying kitten-like eyes, and your nagging humor."

Damn. That stung. I decided not to let it show, and smiled cutely as I tugged on his shirt collar. "Thanks, Snapey. I love you, too." I said in a mocking voice. He narrowed his eyes at me nastily. "Didn't you hear me, stupid girl? I said I hate you." He hissed, dragging on down the hall. I shrugged my shoulders indifferently. "I know. But I decided to take verifying you say and turn it around, unless I really like the meaning."

This time, he rolled his eyes. "Your the most idiotic person I've ever had the displeasure of meeting." He growled, and I laughed. "I feel the same way, Snapey." I knew by the way his grip tightened around my slim waist, I was getting to him. Though I may act like a total bother, I actually had my soft side. I just didn't like to let it show, knowing if I did, Snape would see how vulnerable I really was.

I could see a good side to him, too, but he just didn't show it in case he may get hurt. Perhaps... Perhaps something happened to him in the past that hurt him. I wonder if it was a girl. I was unable to surpress a smile, and Snape shot me an angry look. "What are you grinning about?" He snapped, though I could sense a hint of actual curiosity there. I smiles again, looking up at him. "Jutthinking about your pretty hair." I replied easily, and he grimaced.

I giggled, and decided to tell him the truth. "In all honesty, I was thinking about why your so mean. Maybe you had your heart broken once." I told him truthfully. I was shocked when his face dropped a little, his frown becoming more real and less in distaste. My jaw dropped in realization. "That's it, isn't it? Some girl broke your heart! That's why-"

"SHUT UP, you insolent girl! You have no idea what you speak of, and you have no right!" He yelled. I bit my tongue, nervous from his outburst. Defiantly got his heart broken by some girl, I noted. not that I would be bringing that subject up ever again. My humor faded, and I swallowed, thinking of what to say. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to..." I trailed off.

Snape sighed again, this time from inward confliction. "Don't ever bring it up again." He said in a small, stoney voice. I nodded to myself, looking at the floor. "Can we be on equal grounds, Snape?" I asked out of the blue. When he shot me a confused look, I explained furthar. "I mean, can we not torture each other? Can we just get along?"

I knew I sounded like a blabbering fool, asking the infamous Severus Snape to be my chummy, but I was frankly very tired from the bickering (no matter how fun it was). Snape pondered on this before replying. Slowly, he shook his head. "I don't think we fan ever get along, Chesmu." He admitted, his voice level and dull. I frowned, unsure what to make of this answer. "Why?" I asked.

He looked at me, but I couldn't quite make out what was in his facial expression. "It's complicated." He fianally sighed, defeated. I stopped walking, grabbing my free hand onto his shirt. I stared at him for a moment, my face completely serious, and pushed him against the nearest wall. "Snape... I'm not going to deny my attraction to you." I admitted, which took a lot out of me. He stared at me, surprised and completely caught off guard. I wasn't even sure what I was doing.

"Chesmu..." He clenched his jaw shut, sighing. "It can't work." He said at last, pushing me away. I shook my head. There is no way I'm accepting that sort of answer, because hey, it COULD work. I shoved him back against the wall, more determined now. "Your just saying that because your afraid." k taunted.

He rolled his eyes at me. "Stop trying to provoke me, Chesmu. I'm your professor, your my student. It. Will. Never. Work." He echoed, shoving me back to where I stumbled, falling right back on my butt. I narrowed my eyes, shooting him a frustrated look. What a whimp.

He scowled at me and extended a hand regretfully, which I grabbed and pulled myself up with. I growled as he wrapped his hand back around me, resting it firmly in the curve of my hip. I swear, I don't know WHAT I see in this jerk. Not only is he confusing, sending me mixed signals, but he denies me! He's rude, aristoctatic, stuck up, snobby, harsh, cold, obnoxious, and unfair.

Yet... He's sexy, comforting, intelligent, and somehow, a perfect fit to me. He isn't intimidated by my prankster demeanor, nor does he back down from me and my quips. He snaps right back like a rubber band, hitting me jay as hard right back.

Some part of me yerned for him, while another part of me wanted to strangle him in his sleep. Nevertheless, I wanted him more than I've ever wanted anything else. I couldn't help but imagine him naked... I giggled loudly at this, not even trying to surpress it. He didn't ask.