Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen: Extraction

“You can’t extract our memories, we know who you are,” Bunny said to the Nose.

“So what?” the Nose said.

“What are you talking about?” Mrs. V asked.

The Varshavskys seemed to have become aware that there was a conversation going on without them. Though still gleeful from the XEssence the Nose had doused them with, the Varshavskys were on their feet now, looking inquisitive. The Nose moved toward them to spray them with more perfume. 

“You can’t extract them!” Bunny said.

“I have to.”

As the Nose lifted the perfume bottle, Bunny snatched it out of his hand. He attempted to retrieve another bottle from the gift bag he was holding, but Bunny grabbed the entire bag from him and threw it across the clearing away from him, where it landed in the snow. The Varshavskys were no longer regarding them with bewildered wonderment, but rather, rising concern. 

“What is going on?” Mr. V asked, as Penny tugged the Varshavskys away from standing under the extractor.

“We know who you are, but if you extract our memories, we can’t tell you,” Bunny tried to reason with the Nose.

“Nonsense. You’re just saying that so I won’t extract you.”

“When you first came here, didn’t you notice that the Varshavskys recognized you? Why would you have a photo of us if we didn’t know you?” Beau said.

“How do you think we know about the extractor? It was invented here,” Bunny said.

This seemed to catch the Nose off guard, and he slipped in the snow and leaned into a hedge to stop himself from falling.

“I invented the extractor,” he said, sounding unsure. “Didn’t I?”

Mrs. V tentatively moved toward him. The XEssence seemed to have worn off of the Varshavskys now, and she seemed herself again. Mrs. V opened her mouth to say something, then paused, and searching the Nose’s eyes, said, “Peter?” As the Nose shook his head uncomprehendingly, her hopeful expression wilted.

“Who I am isn’t important right now. You have to let me extract your memories before Mr. Hartford gets here. If he finds out you know about the extractor, I don’t know what he’ll do.”

“Let us help you,” Mrs. V said.

“I don’t need help,” the Nose snapped in one breath.

Her hands held up like someone attempting to negotiate with a bank robber, Mrs. V slowly moved toward the Nose.

“Peter, you can’t have forgotten everything.”

“Stop calling me that.”

“Come with us.”

“Wait,” Bunny said.

She could hear the sound of people tromping through the hedge maze coming from somewhere in the distance.

“Someone’s coming,” Beau said.

“It’s Mr. Hartford!” the Nose said. “Why didn’t you let me extract your memories?”

“What do we do?” Bunny said.

“Let me think,” the Nose said, pacing, and then snapped, “Shut up, all of you,” though no one had said anything.

The sound of people got closer, and they heard Mr. Hartford call out the Nose’s name.

“There’s no time. Run!” the Nose said.