CHAPTER SIX

This chapter contains my own storyline for Harleen. I don't actually know all the facts about her past, this is my own take on her.

------

"So, Harleen, tell me what drove you work in the field you do?" Bruce swirled his Chardonnay as he smiled at me.

"Well, when I was 8 my mom went insane. She had been in an accident and no one really knew what happened or even bothered trying to help her. When I was that young I didn't think about it very much, but after a close family friend also went insane when I was 15 and proceeded to kill herself, I realized that I wanted to do something about it. Learning how the mind worked and seeing if once it has been unwired, if it could be rewired was what I set my sights on. Because if that can be fixed, then they won't do things like kill themselves." I sipped my water and Bruce grimaced.

"I'm sorry it happened like that." He reached across the table and took my hand giving it a reassuring squeeze. I tried to hold in my scream as my broken fingers protested.

"Well, life is what it is. I'm just glad I'm trying to help people." I looked up just as a waiter stopped with our plates. After they were set down and I thanked the waiter, I turned back to Bruce. "What drove Bruce Wayne to take over the family company? With your past I would have expected you to become a cop or something."

"Well, I figured I owed it to my parents to keep the company strong and leave a good legacy." He took a bite of his steak and I looked down taking my time with the soup, so I didn't spill it. I couldn't do anything with my broken right hand, and my left was horrible at eating. After almost half a meal in silence I decided I need to talk again.

"Are you going to leave any Wayne's to carry on the name?" I asked, realizing that sounded extremely bad on a first date or what ever you called this.

He chuckled, "Hopefully one day. With the right person." We continued to eat in silence, until a waiter appeared with a large box.

"The to go order." He set the box down and saw we were both almost done. "Will you be wanting any desserts?"

Bruce look at me and I shook my head. "No." He took the bill and looked at it before dropping a $100 dollar bill on the table and grabbing the box for me.

We walked out of the restaurant and we're almost at the car when Bruce's cell phone rang.

"Yes?" Bruce answered calmly but his face started to drop as the person on the other line continued talking. "When and where did this happen?" He listened and then glanced at me before saying something so fast I couldn't understand it and hanging up.

"Work?" I asked as he opened my door for me.

"Something like that." He shut my door and moved, getting in on his own side. "But it no so important I can't take you too the art exhibition like we said."

My mind had been so far away with thoughts of the Joker I completely forgot about the art exhibition he was going to take me too. I checked the dashboard clock and saw I had already been gone almost an hour and a half.

"Bruce, really we can go another day, that call sounded extremely important and if it's about the company, you should go check it out."

"No, it can wait." He started out of the parking lot as I slipped the box of food for Mr. J in my bag.

"Bruce, I can tell your mind is on your work and mine is on my work. This date can be finished at a later time, it's honestly okay." I watched him sigh and then glance at me stopping at a red light.

"Well let me drop you off at your house first." He went to make a left, but I stopped him.

"No, actually I have to go to the store first. If you just want to drop me off there I'll just catch a cab back."

"Are sure, I could just wait for you to shop-"

"No, I'm a big girl. I know how to catch a cab, I'll be fine, just drop me off at the first store you see." I smiled reassuringly at him and he took a right just as a stop and shop appeared in sight. "See, that's perfect."

"Well, let me at least let me give you cab fare." He went to pull out his wallet but I laughed exasperatedly.

"You bought me lunch and where going to take me to an art exhibition that probably cost more than my apartment. You don't need to give me cab fare too." I made to get out of the car ur he locked me in.

"Just let me do this." He took out a wad of bills and thrust them into my bag before I could get a good look at the numbers on them. "And buy yourself something pretty for the next time we meet."

"Thank you Bruce." I heard the click of the lock and opened the door, waving at him before I shut it, and he drove away. I hurried to the store and ran around finding all the items Mr. J asked for before paying for them with one of the 7 $100 bills Bruce had given me. I took my change and then went outside to look for a cab.

It seemed the longer I stayed away from him the stronger the pull of a want- no a need- the need to see him grew. By the time I was on the Arkham steps I was practically sprinting back towards his room. I passed the guards, told them not to disturb us. Slipping back in I was greeted by the most wonder sight ever.

"Back so soon, my darling."

------

Sorry just a filler chapter. Will be more in the next one. Okay so updates will come at least one a week on weekends, any extra updates will come another day, but for sure you will get one every Saturday or Sunday. Vote, comment, and keep reading. THANKX guys.

-Zoë