CHAPTER TWO

He was all around me. In my head and in anything I saw. After just one visit and he was with me, those eyes that followed me. They laugh that resonated within my mind, and the voice that would whisper things to me.

After meeting the Joker, I couldn't think straight. Maybe I was paranoid, because I had been told he would mess with my head, I was letting him. So after that I went straight home. I showered, ate, and then sat down in my new apartment turning on the Gotham City news.

Batman had help stopped an armed robbery, and a young boy with cold blue eyes went missing. Those eyes. I shut the TV off and decided if I had an early day learning the Jokers routine, I needed sleep. So I headed to bed. But that wasn't any better.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

"So, Dr. Quinzel, what do we have on the list for today's bit of fun?" He wasn't in a straight jacket today, and mercifully the guards were waiting outside the room.

"Well we were going to talk about you." I said taking me seat across from him. "We were going to talk about what happened to make you the Joker."

"No, we were going to talk about how crazy I'm making you. We're going to talk about they way your stomach twists and flips when you think of me and the way your heart stops when you look at me. How you think I'm a dangerous kind of alluring and a strange kind of beautiful. And-" he stood up, nervously I did too- "about how" -he had me cornered between the table and him- "you've been dying for me to kiss you."

His lips where on mine, his hands roaming over my body. He lifted me up dropping me onto the table. Moving to stand in between by legs. His lips attacked mine, he tangled one hand in my hair while the other held the small of my back keeping me right where he wanted me. My hands trailed up his chest and dug into his head, pressing his mouth closer to mine. He was all around me. He was in my head whispering the dirty things he wanted to do to me. And I wanted them, I wanted everything from him, I wanted him. His crazy, his killer, him.

"No." I sat bolt upright in bed. I was covered in sweat, among other things. Looking at my clock I saw I was late, so getting up I ran for my closet. I was  out the door and in a taxi before I could even think about the dream. And it was better than way. I didn't need to remember how powerful he felt. How wonderful the madness in my stomach made our kisses feel.

Shaking away the dream and any remnants of sleep, I watched the drive through the traffic of Gotham City. The sky was gray, the air smelt of cars and gasoline. Nothing like my home town, but change is good.

The cab pulled up to Arkham and I paid him before getting out. I took the stairs two at a time and was inside before the first rain drop hit the pavement. Walking to the main desk, Cherry, greeted me and gave me my official badge, key, and the only file they had on the Joker.

"That key will get you into every room, it's one of three that were made. Mr. Farley has one and the guards have another. But we thought since your with the Joker, you'd want a key to get into his room and this is the only one that will." She smiled before pointing me to my office and then I was gone.

Unlocking my door and turning on the light I saw my office was bigger than even Farley's. I had a big fancy desk, a table and chairs -like the ones I had met the Joker in yesterday-, and a couch in a sitting area. Turning I saw a fridge and microwave sat by the sink and when I went over to look, they were fully stocked with fresh food.

I had skipped breakfast so grabbing a muffin I headed for my desk. Dropping everything from Cherry on my desk I found a small note suck to the front of one of my drawers. Pulling it off it read, He can drive people crazy, don't let him get to you. -Farley Sliding open the door I found a bottle of bourbon and smiling I slid the drawer shut again.

I opened the file on Joker and started to read as I ate my muffin.

At Arkham Asylum:
Doesn't play well with others.
Is prone to acts of violence when unrestrained.
Is known to provoke others.
Killed three guards, while enlisted in Arkham.

Outside of Arkham:
Murder, full count unknown.
Has been know to use creative methods of murder, torture, and or random acts of violence.
Brought in by Batman.
Full history is unknown.

Proceed with caution, is wired like a ticking time bomb.

Finishing my muffin I pulled back out the bourbon, uncapped it, and took a swig. Getting up I replace the bottle and took my key, sliding my badge onto my chest, before slipping the key into my pocket. Just as I exited the room Cherry rounded the corner.

"Perfect timing, he just asked for you." And then I was back in front of the door, the guards already inside. Taking a deep breath, clearing my mind, and putting on my brave face, I stepped inside.

"Doc, I had an amazing dream." He smiled leaning forward, his straight jacket still in place and his eyes focused on mine. I walked forward taking me seat and keeping a safe distance between us.

"And what was in this dream?" I asked pulling out the paper and pen Cherry had informed me I should take notes with.

"Well, I first blew up this horrid place and then you and me rode off into the sunset together." He winked at me, "Would you like ride something of mine? I could make it worth the life sentence it would earn you."

Let's just say I was glad the guards where to far away to hear any of this.

"What happened to make you this person?" I was ignoring his dream, because if we talked more about it, we risked being over heard my the guards and that would be mortifying.

"I don't want to talk about me, l to talk about you." He licked his lips, "What's your history."

"Why name yourself the Joker?"

"Can I call you Harleen, or is that unprofessional?"

"Who were you before this?"

"Who are you now?"