Chapter 3

The days passed by quickly for BatClan and their new warrior, Silvermoon took on many duties including training her apprentice until finally the day of the Gathering came, Silvermoon had fit in quite well being one of the strongest amongst the Clan although she had not yet taken part in any border patrols as Lonestar didn't want to alert the other Clans just yet to their new warrior, since only one Clan knew of her existence Lonestar had trusted Darkstar to keep Silvermoon's arrival to himself until it came time to announce it at the Gathering and it seemed that he had.

"Silverpaw are you ready to go on the hunting patrol?" Silvermoon mewed as her apprentice bounded up to her with excitement. "Wolffang and Bearfoot are coming as well." She looked at the big grey tom admirably he had been one of the warriors that had welcomed her into the Clan, shown her the best hunting places and allowed her to sleep near him... 

"Silvermoon" Greeneye meowed waking the new warrior from her daydream. "Come, walk with me. Silverpaw you can go with Bearfoot and Wolffang. 

"Sure sis!" Silverpaw meowed excitedly. "Don't worry she won't hurt you...well much." She purred into her mentor's ear as she passed, Silvermoon watched her in confusion and followed Greeneye into the forest below as the hunting party went the other way. 

They stopped at a rock that sparkled in the early morning sun. 

"Now let's see what you can do. Attack me." Greeneye replied turning to face the be-wielded Silvermoon. 

"W-what?" she mewed a little shocked, had she gone mouse-brained? Greeneye was blind and she herself was a full grown cat! 

"I said attack me." Greeneye simply repeated taking up a defensive crouch, waiting for the other she-cat to attack, who hesitated and shook her head. 

"You sure?" she asked taking a ready stance while Greeneye only nodded. "Okay then if you say so..." Silvermoon leapt toward the white she-cat only to find herself flat on her stomach with the weight of Greeneye on top of her. "How did you do that when..." Silvermoon grunted a little embarrassed that she was bested by a cat that wasn't even half her size. 

"When I am blind?" Greeneye finished jumping off the silver she-cat. "I see far more than any other cat. Silvermoon you have the strength of TigerClan, the speed of LeapardClan and the courage of LionClan. But do you have the sight of BatClan?" 

"What do you mean?" Silvermoon mewed. 

"Bats are night hunters, they cannot see very well so they rely on sound bouncing off their pray when they hunt. We cats of BatClan have learnt the way of the bats, we are more alert to our surroundings then other Clan cats, we rely on more than just our sight so even a blind cat can fight." As she spoke she circled the silver cat. "Now close your eyes, concentrate, concentrate on my voice, on your surroundings, is there anything that is out of the ordinary?" two forms sped toward the silver she-cat as she closed her eyes.

"Wow that was a nice catch Silverpaw!" Bearfoot purred as the small apprentice caught a large vole. "Silvermoon has taught you very well." 

"Yeah more like you showed Silvermoon where all the good hunting spots are and she passed them on to me." Silverpaw mewed mockingly at the grey tom who couldn't hold back laughter. 

"And you definitely received your mentor's personality." He smiled. "Now come on, let's get this fresh-kill back to camp...I do believe your mentor may need it after today's lesson." He merrowed.

Silvermoon collapsed, exhausted. After she had closed her eyes Thornear and Swiftravan ambushed her, she swore she wouldn't go into the forest with Greeneye alone again! It was bad enough Greeneye bested her but the two veteran warriors had caught her off guard and Greeneye ordered her to keep her eyes closed, at first it was hard to pinpoint where they were but as they kept attacking her she found it easier and easier. The day had continued on much like that until the sun had reached its full height in the sky and they stopped when the hunting party finally returned with a pile of fresh kill. The apprentices picked what they could carry and dragged it into the Elder's den while the warriors picked out their share.