A Visit, A Search, and an Escape

Start from the beginning

“I know,” she said. “Madame Durand told me.”

“She came and saw me the other day, and told me about you, that you were alive and safe. I felt better, knowing that you were all right, but I know that I’m the reason you left, Alana.” He was looking directly at her now, his eyes filled with pain. “You ran away from me.”

She was trembling, and could not speak.

“But I understand why you did,” he continued. “Who knows what I would have done to you? God, all I want is to get some whiskey in here, but I’m afraid to drink it now. Who knows what I’ll say, what I’ll do to you? My own daughter!” Andre’s expression was tortured. “I don’t want you to be afraid of me…are you afraid of me, Alana?”

The girl backed up a few more steps, still speechless.

“Oh no, you are. I can see it in your eyes.” He hid his face in his hands. “I’m so sorry.” He lifted his face up to gaze up at the ceiling. “I’m so sorry. Lord. What have I done?”

By then, Alana had gone.

A few minutes later, Raimond walked through the door. Andre was leaning against the iron bars of his cell, staring at the floor, but he looked up when he heard the door close.

“You…what are you doing here?” Andre growled.

Raimond stepped forward. “Alana’s been staying with us in Paris. Now I might ask you the same question Andre…what are you doing here? Behind bars?”

“Don’t pretend you don’t know.” He spat on the floor.

The other man looked at him sadly. “Drinking doesn’t make anyone’s troubles go away, Andre. It just buries them beneath an ever growing pile of other problems.”

“Don’t you think I know that by now?” Andre’s voice sounded angry and desperately miserable. “I’m in jail! The whole town has been talking about me, the town drunk, for years, and now I’m really giving them something to talk about…did you know that I’m the only man to get arrested here in almost a year? Do you know how it feels to be the town outcast? No, of course not! You’ve always been the brother who got everything he ever wanted! The perfect life! Father always did like you best, because you were always so perfect, and because your mother…!”

Raimond held up a hand. “Let’s not get into this, Andre,” he interjected. “What I want to know is, why did you not tell Amelie and me about Una’s death?”

The other man was silent.

It hurt Raimond to bring it up, and he knew it was hurting his half brother even more, but he had to know what Andre had to say for himself. He needed to understand. “We would have come to Détente in a heartbeat. We would have tried our best to help you and Alana. We could have taken care of the farm, instead of leaving your poor daughter to try and run things on her own…while you went out and squandered your life’s savings!”

Andre was shaking his head. “I robbed her of her childhood, Raimond,” he said sadly. “I ruined her life. All she wanted to do was help me. And I turned around and hit her across the face when she dared to speak to me. No child should have had to live the way she did. Oh God, Raimond, what have I done? I don’t even deserve to live.”

“We’ll get through this.” Raimond knew his half-brother needed encouragement right now, not criticism. “In time, you can be free of your addiction. Your daughter will learn not to be afraid. And you will remember how to be the man you once were.”

Andre grimaced. “He died the day Una left us.”

“But she didn’t leave, Andre. She’s still with us. She’ll always be alive in our memories. In our hearts.”