The Shooting

Josh could barely breathe, he was running as fast as his legs could take him to the high school. The minute Topanga told him there was a shooting at the school he took off.

Not to see if Cory was okay, or Riley. As much as he loved his family, his heart and mind was set on finding Maya. To make sure she was okay.

When he reached the school there were the police and ambulances. Josh watched as the shooter was put into custody. He had a disgust ion smirk on his face, like he was proud of what he had just done.

"My brother and my niece are in there!" Josh told one of the police men.

"Check that bus, that's where most people escaped too,"

Joshs feet took him to the bus.

'Please be there. Please be safe. I never got to tell you how much you mean to me. Our someday is just around the corner. Please be okay.'

Josh ran into the bus and his eyes darted around the bus. In the back he saw Rileys group and Cory. He let out a breath.

He walked to the back of the bus, thanking God Maya was okay.

They all turned to Josh, grim looks on their faces. No one would make eye contact with him.

Joshs breath caught in his throat when the blonde girl who gave him hope, made him believe that true love wasn't impossible age didn't matter, was no where to be seen.

"Josh..." Cory trails off

Tears welled up in Joshs eyes.

'No no no no no'

"Where is she?"

"Josh," Cory tries again

"Where is she?" He demands

"She was separated from all of us. While we were running out. She hasn't made it to the bus yet." Cory explains not meeting Joshs teary eyes.

"No," Josh croaks "she has to be okay"

"There's nothing we can do,"

Josh turned around and marched out of the bus. He pushed passed crowds and made his way into the school. Ignoring people's yells for him to stop.

He needs to find her. He has to find her. He needed her in his life.

Joshs marched turned into a run. He ran and looked and looked. He blinked back the tears.

'Think positively Josh, she's okay. She's gonna pop out of no where and scream surprise or gotcha and then she'll laugh and pull him into a hug. She's strong.'

Josh tried his best to believe his thoughts but he needed proof. He needed to see her.

Josh ran into his older brothers history classroom and choked when he saw it.

There she was. Laying on the floor against a wall. Her face was pale, and her bright blue eyes were dull. She was holding her leg with both hands.

Josh ran over to her with mixed emotions. She was alive. She was here. But she was hurt.

"Hey, hey it's okay I'm here." Josh tells her as he moved a piece of hair behind her ear.

"Josh" she croaks which broke his heart in two. "It hurts"

"I know baby, I know. But you're gonna be okay. I'm here and I'm gonna get you out of here." Josh reassured her, and himself.

"This may hurt" Josh tells her as he slides one arm under her knees and the other under her neck.

She weakly wraps her arms around his neck.

Josh begins to carry her and make their way towards the exit.

"Josh I'm scared," Maya tells him a tear falling down her face.

"Hey it's okay. You're gonna be okay. You gotta be okay Maya. Our someday is so close, I'll be able to hold you close like this every day. And kiss your face. And you'll be all mine and I'll be yours. Please Maya stay with me. Please I need you in my life. You mean so fucking much to me. Don't give up." Josh pleaded to her.

There were gasps in the crowd when Josh carried Maya out. Medics instantly came and took Maya from his arms. He wanted to fight against them. He wanted to hold her. But he knew the medics would help her.

Josh didn't notice when Cory, Riley, and all her friends ran over to him. He was lost in his thoughts. He saved her. His princess would be okay.

"Josh!" Cory pulled his younger brother into a hug.

"You saved her uncle Josh!" Riley smiles "thank you! She's my best friend I could never live without her,"

Joshs smile grows. He saved her. Josh Matthews saved the girl of his dreams.

Everyone pulled him into a hug thanking him for saving their friend. Josh didn't care though. All he could think about was that she was safe.

"Help! We need more medics over here!" A medic yelled.

The group looked over. None of them could see very well. The crowd had circled around what was happening blocking their views.

"We're losing her! She's lost too much blood!"

Panic rushed through Joshs veins. You could feel the tension in the crowd.

"she's gone,"

Whispers broke out through the crowd.

Those two words rung in Joshs head.

"Back away give us some space!" The medics called

The crowd dwindled down.

Cory tried pulling his brother away but it didn't work. Joshs eyes were glued to the body that was covered. His eyes were glued to the blonde hair sticking out of the covers.

Riley followed his eyes and gasped.

Cory tried pulling Josh again but Josh shoved him away.

His breaths were shakey and his eyes were blurry.

He shook his head.

"No. No no no no. This can't be happening" Josh mumbled

"Josh there's nothing we can do,"

"If I was faster, if the second I saw her I picked her up and ran out, she'd be okay. Fuck this is all my fault," Josh ran a hand through his hair not even holding back his tears.

Cory was stunned by what was in front of him. He'd never seen his brother break down like this. He practically gasped when Josh dropped to the floor in tears.

"Want to know what the worst part about this is?" Josh asked his brother

"Joshie..." Cory trailed off

"We never got our someday."