ten

anderson

"can i just..." brandon trails off, attempting to slide his hand inbetween mine and emily's intertwined hands.

"no, stop trying to steal my girlfriend, brandon," i say, pulling our hands away from his. "gosh," i add, rolling my eyes as emily laughs, blowing her boyfriend a kiss.

today is the day i fly back home to spend the week there for carrington's eighteenth birthday. emily wanted to come, not only to see her family, but to celebrate carrington's birthday as well, since she practically watched the girl grow up. and emily asked if she could invite brandon, to which i rolled my eyes and told her she didn't need to ask my permission, so he's tagging along too.

"we still have twenty minutes before we board, wanna go to starbucks?" emily asks, motioning at the starbucks across the room.

"sure," i shrug, and with that, we start towards the shop.

"can i at least sit by em?" brandon asks from behind us.

"mmm," i pretend to mull over it. "no."

"i'd say i hate you but emily would probably smack me," he mumbles, and i laugh, glancing back at the poor boy.

"emily, i think it's time we split so your boyfriend can at least die peacefully when i kill him," i tell her, and she pouts as i release her hand from mine.

just as we reach starbucks, my phone begins ringing and i stop, fishing it out of my purse. seeing nate's name on the screen, i look up at emily and say, "go ahead and order our drinks, i'll be there in second." she nods and her and brandon step into starbucks as i press the answer button before moving the phone up to my ear. "hello."

"hey anderson, how're you?" nate asks.

"i'm great actually," i tell him. "how about you?"

"amazing," he answers. "so jessica goes to the doctor again in a few days and we might get to know the gender."

"oh, yeah?" i grin. "has she started showing yet?"

"barely. she wears big shirts to hide it though, she hates that she's 'getting fat'," he says and i can imagine him rolling his eyes.

"what does she expect? to lose weight while another life is growing inside her?" i rhetorically ask, rolling my eyes. "any other news though?"

"nope, that's about it," he says.

"hmm," i hum. "actually, while i have you on the phone, i have a question for you. what's your stage name? like, do you go by nate or what?"

"it's skate," he tells me and i make a mental note of it. "why're you asking exactly?"

"well, for one i'm gonna be on an airplane for a few hours and need new music to listen to, and for two, i'm a lil curious," i tell him.

"ah, i gotcha. well, in that case, i guess i'm a lil curious myself, so what's your insta?"

"it's andersonford."

"okay, well, i guess i'll let you go and deal with all the normal airport business, and i'm gonna go check out your insta," he says, letting out a chuckle.

"and i'm gonna go check out your music," i tell him. "and it better be good."

"well, not to brag..." he trails off, laughing. "nah, i'm joking. i'll let you figure that out for yourself."

"i'll do just that. alright, bye nate," i say, already heading inside starbucks.

"bye anderson." with that, i pull the phone away and hang up, stuffing it back in my purse just as i reach the table that emily and brandon are sat at.

"who was that?" emily asks as i sit down across her and brandon, happily taking my cup.

"nate," i tell her.

"any news?"

i shrug, "they might get to figure out the gender sometime this week."

"ooh, exciting."