Chapter 13: Enemy Infiltration

Start from the beginning

“Aw look at them, they’re as red as tomatoes! Isn’t that cute. You know Ana has never brought a boy home besides Will of course, but they’re practically siblings. We’ve known the kid since he was in diapers” mom rambled on adding to the pile of humiliation.

“Mom stop it” I muttered.

“The pasta is delicious Ms. Evans what sauce did u use?” River asked diverting the attention. I gave him an appreciative smile and sighed in relief. That would certainly distract my mother from any other embarrassing comments.

“Oh it’s pesto sauce. I made it myself and please call me Charlotte” she beamed at him. The conversation continued until Tara couldn’t handle not being the center of attention and butted in.

“So River I heard you’re starting at our school this year. Hopefully we’ll have some classes together and we have an excellent football team, you should consider joining” Tara sent River her best flirty smile.  Gag.

“Thanks but football isn’t really my thing” River replied. She pouted at him but dropped the subject. I was happy to hear River wasn’t a jock, our school had enough of those already, but I could see why Tara would say that seeing as his well sculpted body hinted otherwise.

“So what is your thing?” Nate asked River with an arched eyebrow.

“I’m into photography” he said.

“If you ever need something to photograph let me know” Tara smiled ‘seductively’ at him behind Nate’s back. I swear I saw red flash before my eyes. Here she was with Nate and yet she was flirting with River too? It took everything I had not to get up and strangle her right here. And I was surprised at myself since I wasn’t usually a violent person. Once we had finished eating, I helped mom clear off the table with Tara who had volunteered. I was shocked at how nice Tara was acting in front of my family but I wasn’t stupid enough to let my guard down at any moment. Her little good girl act might fool everyone else but I knew the real Tara and it wasn’t pleasant. 

“Guess what we’re having for dessert? Blueberry pie!” mother announced excitedly. Nate hooted and Tara offered to help her serve it. I was bringing in the last of the dirty plates into the kitchen, when Tara’s shoulder collided with mine roughly. 

“Ohmygosh! I’m so sorry” she exclaimed displaying her best fake worried face she could manage but I thought I spotted a hint of a satisfied smirk. I took a deep breath and suppressed an eye roll. I dumped the rest of the dishes in the sink and returned to the table where the pie was being cut by my mother. She dished out a hearty slice for each person until Tara insisted that she and Nate would share only one slice because she was on a new diet. Any normal person would have laughed at how vain she sounded, but as you already knew I was far from normal. The mere thought of Nate and the Tara off of the same plate really disgusted me to no end. Did they know how many bacteria lived inside the human mouth? Why anyone would want to share food was beyond me.

“Hey, dragonfly you alright?” River asked in a worried tone causing me to snap out of my germ thoughts.

“Yeah I’m fine” I tried my best to smile at him to reassure him since he seemed genuinely concerned for my well being. Mom handed Tara two forks and they began eating their share of pie. I turned away from them and focused on my own piece. As soon as I tasted the first bite of pie I almost moaned out at how delicious it was. River laughed when he saw my face in pure bliss. Pies were my definitely my guilty pleasure. But a sickening sound interrupted my enjoyment. I looked up from my plate to find the source of the horrible sound. Tara was sucking her fork dry! Ugh. Gross.

“Wow Mrs. Evan’s this is like the best pie I’ve ever had. So good” she complimented my mother yet looked directly at me as she took another chunk out of Nate’s plate and licked her fork clean. Someone kill me now before I throw up all over the table.