Didn't See This Coming

Start from the beginning

The audience applauds and then Mr Sioux comes off stage. Mrs Shepard goes on.

"Thank you Mr Sioux." Says Mrs Shepard.

Mrs Shepard finishes her talk and then the video is shown. After that ten minutes, my legs decide to freeze, and when my name is announced, I don't move.

"Ella, are you okay? You don't have to do this." says Mr Sioux.

"I'm fine. Everyone is expecting me to present something. Plus, I want to do this." I say.

I take a deep breath and I walk on stage. I instantly notice my family sitting at the front. The wave, but me being almost 17, I don't wave back. I go up to the mike, and place my paper on the sort of podium-thingy-whatever-you-would-call-it.

"My name is Ella Harris and I am going to be delivering a speech called Stop Laughing At Me and Don't Call Me Names." I say.

They applaud and then I begin my speech.

"On the second day of the new school semester, I went to Carter Reynold's party with my friends, Kylie and Sarah. A lot of others went to and someone who is going to be mentioned later, Bethany Allen, also attended the party. At that party, I was the victim of a rape. The morning after, I was again, made the victim of rape. This was on the third day of a new school semester. I was then later raped at school in the showers, then I was, for the fourth time, raped. The person that committed these rapes, was Carter Reynolds and he has been sentenced to twelve years in prison." I say.

I hear a few gasps and then tears begin to fall away from my eyes.

"This is where Bethany Allen comes in. She hasn't returned to school yet, and I am still unsure i she ever will. Bethany Allen was also raped by Carter Reynold twice." I say.

I hear more gasps and then it all goes silent.

"I didn't think I was going to be as strong as I was and I was able to not only help myself, but another victim of an awful crime. I will never be the same again, and I may never be able to trust again in that thing, and a constant reminder of what happened to me it the fetus that is growing inside me." I say.

More. Gasps.

"No you all probably think, whore, slut, but I was attacked and raped. After two weeks of not going to school, I finally returned, only to be called names and physically abused. It was only one person and you know who you are." I say.

Both me and Shelly Williams look at each other. She mouths the words 'I'm so sorry'. I smile.

"After realizing that people are coming up with rumors about me and assuming the situation, I knew it was my duty to make it clear. I will continue to come to school, but I will be pregnant and I will say it again, stop laughing at me and don't call me names. I won't get to watch this child grow up. I won't be there for it's first birthday, it's first day of school, when it first learns to walk, when it comes home crying because it itself is being bullied. I can't keep this baby because it will be a constant reminder of what happened to me. It still makes me sick to my stomach to know that I am carrying a rape baby." I say.

More tears begin to flow.

"But I will stand here and I will say, I am strong, and so are you. If you ever find yourself in a situation where you yourself have become a victim of rape, speak out, because you will be able to get justice for everyone else. Don't be afraid. You may feel scared and embarrassed, I was completely embarrassed, but once you have told the authorities, you will feel better. People only think that girls get raped, but boys do too and regardless of your gender, the police will listen. Rape is not okay. Bullying is not okay. But something that is okay, is me. Are you?" I say.