7.Responsibilities

We all settled down and started talking in groups when dad interrupted our talks.

Raj: Kids, we wanted to tell you all, that our family priest has told that the best time for your marriage is after one month.

I looked at Nandini only to find her face panic stricken but before I could say something uncle cut me in between.

Vishnu: And we, elders, think that you should get married next month since after that the auspicious time would be after 2 years.

Now it was my turn to be panicked. I wanted to get married as soon as possible but I understand, Nandini needs time. I saw mom marching towards Nandini.

Nyonika: Beta, I know you must be feeling nervous, skeptical, panicked and what not with the idea of getting married in a month but trust me when I say it, you and Manik are meant to be together. He'll always keep you happy. Besides, we won't ever let you feel alone and miss your parents...

Nandini had tears in her eyes while dad also joined them. He kept a hand on her head.

Raj: Nyonika is right Nandini. We always wanted a daughter but since we already had twins, we didn't want another child since it would have been difficult for Nyonika to handle and take care of the children. So we thought to wait till our sons got married so that we will get two daughters altogether. So I assure you that we'll always love you like our daughter, just like Navya...

Nandini was smiling with tears in her eyes and nodded her head on approval. Mom hugged her in excitement and dad joined her. We all were admiring them when I noticed bhabhi sitting with a frown. I gestured Cabir and he nodded his head in disbelief after looking at her.

I wonder what's up with them. I have always found bhabhi's behavior different whenever she's with Murthys. My thoughts broke with Nandini's phone's ring. She excused herself and picked the call. We could see her getting serious.

Nandini: Yes Dr. Nandini here.... What but how?...... Ok don't panic and prepare the O.T and fill all the formalities.. I'll be there as soon as I can... Ok..

She cut the call and turned towards us.

Nandini: Appa woh hospital mei ek emergency aa gayi hai so I need to go..

Anita: But Kanna aise kaise... Kitni raat ho gayi hai aur tumhare in-laws....

I was about to say something when Nandini herself interrupted in between.

Nandini: Amma, mai ek doctor hoon, it's my responsibility to save lives, to provide them a new life if possible. This simply means I have to go and save that person's life even if it means that this alliance breaks. I'm a doctor and I simply can't afford to delay and make that person's condition worse....

She said all this while removing her jewellery and she was looking beautiful without any jewel on her body. I can see the men of our families plus Mukti standing in pride. My thoughts broke with her voice....

Nandini: Uncle aunty I'm really sorry about this sudden leave.... But I have no option..I....

Dad cut her in between and side hugged her.

Raj: After so many years I have seen such a hard-working person... Such a dedication and devotion towards her profession.

Nandini smiled warmly at him while I was smiling proudly... Mom went towards her.

Nyonika: Just relax beta... We don't have any problem. Àaram se jao aur surgery complete karke aao..

She smilingly nodded at her and was about to leave when Abhimanyu stopped her.