Chapter 4

I woke to find the bed empty. When I reached out and touched the bed, the sheets were cold, indicating that he had left some time ago. I looked around the room and saw food sitting on a small table at the end of the bed. I got up and pulled on a silk robe that had been laid across the end of the bed. I sat down and ate, glancing at the door now and again, seeing if Orcus would show up. He didn't and I went into my closet where the servants were waiting.

"I can dress myself, you know," I said with a huff. They ignored my comment and dressed me in a scarlet colored satin gown that flowed to my feet with black lace sleeves that started at my shoulders.

"Do I have any clothes in colors besides black and red?" I asked.

"Ocursova mitisala," one servant replied confused. I sighed and ignored them.

I left the room and went downstairs, wondering what I was going to do. At the bottom of the stairs was Umona. I stopped and stared at her surprised.

"Is something wrong?" she asked.

"The servants didn't tell me you were here," I said.

"Oh, they're so used to me they don't announce me," she said.

"I see," I said.

"Don't worry, I waited down here just in case you and my brother were getting freaky," she said with a wink.

"He was gone when I woke up," I said.

"He's working, then," she said. "He'll flit in and out as he's called."

"So what am I to do during the day?" I asked.

"You could read, or play on that computer up there, or you could walk in the gardens or go to parties," Umona said.

"I am afraid to see the gardens," I said. Umona laughed.

"Not everything here is death and decay, you know," she teased. She moved forward and took my hands, pulling me towards the back of the house. She pushed open a grand door and pulled me outside. The gardens where more beautiful than anything I had ever seen. Beautiful Cyprus, willow and cherry blossom trees were everywhere. Some of the willows had briar rose vines hanging from them while some of the Cyprus trees were wound with ivy. Every flower I knew of and a few I had never seen grew in the garden, there were garden swings covered in ivy and roses and lilies. There were two wood swings tied to two of the cherry trees. Umona took me to a carved stone bench under one of the cherry trees.

"It's beautiful," I said.

"See, not everything is death and decay here," she said, patting my leg.

"It seems so strange to find this here, though," I said. "The house is all black and skulls."

"Oh, Mother did that," she said. "She said she thought the house should look like the Grim Reaper owned it. The gardens were grandmother's little pet project."

"Was your mother human?" I asked.

"No, Mother was a vampire," she answered. "She was beautiful."

"I wish I could have seen her," I said.

"Her picture is hanging up in the foyer," Umona told me. "Come, I'll show you." She stood and led me into the main hall where the staircase was and guided me to a large gold framed painting. In it stood a tall, broad man with pale skin, long black hair and black eyes. He had a broad face with a neat and trimmed beard and mustache. In front of him on a grand thrown like chair was a slender woman with milk white skin, long straight hair that was so black it was blue and large blood red eyes surrounded by thick lashed. Her full lips were quirked in an almost teasing smile.