Chapter 29

Orcus lifted Ilirra into the air, grinning when she shrieked in delight. Dimitri sat at my side, reading, as usual, and didn't bother to look up at the racket.

"Mommy, come play with us!" Ilirra cried, her twinkling green eyes meeting mine. I laid a hand on my very large stomach and shook my head.

"Mommy's tired, darling," I said. She ran up to me, putting her hand next to mine.

"Is the baby making you sleepy again?" she asked. Dimitri snorted. He still didn't like the idea of a new baby in the house.

"Yes, dearest," I said, reaching up and tucking a strand of curling black hair behind her ear. "She's getting ready to come into the world and taking all of Mommy's strength to do so." Ilirra frowned.

"That's not nice," she said.

"You and Dimitri did it too," I told her. "It is what baby's do."

"Oh," she said, thinking this over. "Mommy, how did she get there?" My eyes grew wide and I looked over her shoulder to Orcus who looked even less pleased by the question than I was. I turned to see Dimitri looking up at me, red eyes curious, waiting for my answer.

"She...well...uhm..." I floundered, my mind rapidly working to try and explain without giving too much detail.

"Daddy put her there," Orcus said, walking closer to us.

"Why?" Dimitri asked.

"Because Mommy and Daddy thought it would be nice to have another child. We thought you two would like having someone else to play with," Orcus explained.

"We have each other and you both," Dimitri said. "Why would we need anyone else?"

"Dimi, please," I implored. "You may change your mind once she's here." He snorted but didn't say anything else, not wanting to upset me. I wrapped my arm around him, hugging him to me.

"You'll always be my baby boy," I cooed, kissing his cheek. His face softened a bit. I looked up and saw Ilirra's uneasy expression. I reached out, pulling her to me as well.

"And you will always be my baby girl," I assured her, easing her unvoiced concern. Orcus smiled at the children curled up around me. I hissed as Rose gave a fierce kick to my kidney.

"What happened?" Ilirra asked.

"Your sister kicked me," I said.

"Rosey, that's not nice!" Ilirra chastised. Rose gave a second kick then shifted. My entire stomach moved and if I had been standing I would have been thrown off balance. Orcus knelt at my side, placing a warm hand on my stomach.

"What was that?" Dimitri asked.

"Rose just moved into position?" I explained.

"Position?" he echoed.

"To be born," I said. "She moved into the right spot so she can come out."

"She's coming now?" Ilirra cried.

"No, not now," Orcus said, wrapping his arm around Ilirra's small shoulders. "A few days, maybe a week." Ilirra pouted and stomped her foot.

"I want to meet her now!" she huffed.

"Well, she's not ready yet," I said, trying to sooth her. "She'll come out when she's ready. Just as you did." Ilirra continued to pout but had reined in her temper. She leaned down so her mouth was near my stomach.

"Hurry up and come out Rosey," she ordered. Rose gave a weak kick to my side but settled, most likely to sleep.

♥♥♥