Chapter 3

It was around noon when Megan woke up and she rolled on her back, staring at the ceiling as she remembered the previous day. She hoped that a good night sleep would clear her mind, but she was wrong. Her shoulder ached but less than she expected. Reached for the little bottle of painkillers she looked at the clock on her bedside table, which showed her how late she had slept.

"Damn it!" She exclaimed jumping out of bed. Storm had asked her to go to the lab so she could check up on her wound and she was running late.

She rushed to the elevator and pushed the button for the basement. On her way to the lab she passed in front of the gym's opened door, where she saw Logan exercising on a punching bag. She stopped and observed him. He was wearing a white top tank that embraced his figure, showing off his perfectly sculpted body.

"Megan? Are you coming?" Storm's voice brought her back to earth.

"Yes, sorry I am coming," she yelled, her cheeks turning red from embarrassment. She had been busted.

"How was your first night? Everything okay?" Storm asked, starting a conversation as she removed the bandage from Megan's shoulder.

"Everything was great, I can't thank you enough." She answered looking at her wound. "How is it?" she added.

"It looks great. It's closing faster than I expected. You should be good as new in no time." Storm exclaimed as she cleaned the area before adding a fresh bandage.

To her surprise, the good news didn't excite her. As soon as she'd recover, she would have to leave, and she wasn't ready for that. This place was safe, and she didn't know how to got back to her daily routine after what happened. On top of that, she was dying to learn more about mutants, and there would be no better place in the world than this school.

"You are free to go, I will check it again tomorrow." Storm announced her, pressing the medical tape down on Megan's skin.

"Thank you," Megan replied, re-buttoning her shirt as Storm threw away the old bandage.

Megan stood up, but before reaching the exit she saw two familiar daggers on the desk. Her mouth curved into a smile. She approached and picked them up, bouncing their familiar weight in her hands.

"You found my daggers, I was sure I lost them," she exclaimed.

"Yes, we did. I meant to ask you about those, where did you get them?" Storm asked, wiping her hands clean as she approached Megan.

"They are a gift from my father, to defend myself, as he used to say." Megan reminisced, brushing her fingers along the cool metal.

Megan put the daggers back down.

"They are heavy for such a little blade, do you know what they are made of?" Storm asked, sounding intrigued by them.

"Steel would be my guess," Megan replied with a shrug.

Storm shook her head, the answer didn't seem to convince her.

"I don't think so, steel is lighter. Do you mind if I run tests to find it out?" She asked, running her finger along the matching set.

"As long as they are no damaged. As I said, they were a gift from my father and I'm of attached to them." Megan replied, eyeing her daggers.

"Don't worry, I will take care of them." Storm reassured her.

Megan closed the door behind her and walked towards the elevator. When passing in front of the gym she didn't resist the urge to have a quick look inside. Her heart skipped a beat, he was still there. She wished she was invisible so she could stay in a corner and enjoy the view for as long as possible, but she wasn't, and being caught once was embarrassing enough.