Tiffany sighed. It was obvious that she hadn't seen Lauren pass by. "Never mind. It doesn't matter. I'm going to keep practicing, so I'll meet you in the change rooms. Is that okay?"

"Yes. I just have to grab my things from the locker," she replied, her heart beginning to race. Lauren was in that room. But, it was either show up late for class or risk a confrontation. Obviously, she was going to choose the possibility of a confrontation.

With caution, Abigale entered the room. She let out a small sigh of relief when she realized Lauren was nowhere in sight. In and out, Abigale. She won't even realize you're here.

However, as she approached her locker, she almost tripped over a student who was sprawled on the floor, playing on their phone. Abigale let out a yelp of surprise, and, almost in that same instant, Lauren appeared from one of the change rooms. Blood pumped in her ears as Lauren's cat-like eyes narrowed.

"Watch where you're going," said the girl she'd almost tripped over. She couldn't be sure, but she was almost certain she didn't bother to look up from his phone.

Abigale pursed her lips together as Lauren stalked towards her. Her black pumps—which Abigale assumed were about to be exchanged for runners—made a clicking noise against the tile, causing a shiver to run up her spine.

"Abby!" Lauren said, feigning surprise. "So lovely to see you here."

"Well, I am enrolled here," Abigale countered, her fists tightening at her sides. Don't let her have the satisfaction.

"Unfortunately."

The word seemed to stab a dime-sized hole in Abigale's heart. Circulation to her fingers was cut off from how tight she was squeezing them into the palms of her hands. "What do you want, Lauren?"

"What do I want?" Lauren echoed. She placed a perfectly manicured nail to her lips, like she was pondering the question. The group she'd been with earlier came up behind her. Abigale felt like shrinking into a corner when she realized she was outnumbered. "What I want, Abby, is for you to disappear. As you've so graciously pointed out, though, you're enrolled here."

Another stab. "Whatever. I don't have time for this. I have class."

She tried to step forward, but was pushed back by Lauren. "We aren't done talking. How's your mother doing? Still cowering from Daddy's beatings?"

Abigale's mouth went dry. They'd been next-door neighbours for years, but she never thought anyone would be able to hear the commotion that reverberated off the walls every night. She glanced between Lauren and her friends, anger pooling in her gut. "My mother is none of your business."

Lauren let out a small, mocking laugh. "So, it is true then?"

The back of Abigale's head burned at Lauren's words. The feeling spread throughout her entire body as she stared at Lauren with a fierce expression. "Leave me alone, Lauren."

She walked forward, pushing past Lauren and her group of dimwits. This time, Lauren didn't stop her. Instead, she let out a menacing laugh as they watched her scurry out of the room. She didn't bother to make it out of the gym before tears began rolling down her cheeks.

***

History drug on far too long for Abigale's liking. She twirled her pencil in between her fingers as she listened to Ms. Lowen, whom was speaking about the history of the U.S. government, something Abigale couldn't care less about. Over the past two years, she had strived to receive A's in every subject, so she knew she had to pay attention to the lecture, but she couldn't. Abigale was more worried about the fight that had occurred that morning between her parents, something that Lauren's painful words had brought to the surface. The fight the night before continued until the morning, and tension was high when she left for school. A part of Abigale wondered what she would find when she got home. Would one of her parents leave because they'd had enough? She knew they were only making things work because of her. It was merely a matter of time before they divorced.