Before breakfast was over, Gari came to get us and we ended up in a building next to the library. Gari called it the Meeting house and it was a large room with a ridiculous table in the center, and large iron bars around the room like bird perches.

There were only two others in the room when we arrived: both were asian, both were tall, but their faces were very different from each other. The first guy was a little shorter, a lot older, grey hair, round black eyes, and he was wearing the traditional undyed cotton robes of the temple. The second guy was younger but still much older than Nisvārtha, his head was shaved, and he was wearing black robes. His face immediately made me wary, sharp, calculating, like an eagle. Once we were in the room, though, his face split into a warm, caring smile.

"Miss Kendra!" he stepped forward and took my hand. "It is a pleasure to meet you, my dear."

I smiled back, but that twisting feeling in my stomach was back. Master Garuda's song made me uneasy, piano, banjo, and harmonica. It sounded like something one would hear in the old south states of America. I knew at once that Master Garuda wasn't dangerous, but nothing invited me to trust him either.

I looked at the old man next to him and he smiled as well, "Hello, child. I am Śānti Serene." He paused, almost like he expected a reaction.

I just smiled and shook his hand. "Kendra McLane." His song was interesting; piano, cello, and clarinet.

"Interesting name," Śānti observed, his eyes sparkling.

I chuckled, already liking this old man, "I'm an interesting girl."

"Of that I have no doubt."

"Let's sit," Master Garuda said, pulling out a chair for me. Everyone sat down at the large table.

"So I hear you are near your first shift," Master Garuda said with a smile.

I nodded, "Aye, my birthday was over a week ago."

"I imagine you are feeling quite a bit of pain, yes?"

I nodded, but said no more.

Suruli took over for me, "She has been complaining of headaches and general soreness in her bones. In the past week she has had outbursts of her gift and a few days ago she sprouted a pair of feathered wings from her shoulderblades."

"Interesting," Master Garuda's eyes watched me closely. "Tell me about yourself, Kendra. What is your story?"

I glanced at Nisvārtha and Suruli before letting out a deep breath. "It's a wee bit complicated. I hatched in the mountains and was found by my parents, I don't think they knew what type of dragon I was so I'm not sure they even told me that I was one."

Śānti frowned and leaned forward from where he had been watching me, "How can you not be sure?"

I was ready to answer when I saw a glimmer in those black eyes. He knew. He knew I was lying, but he didn't look like he intended to out me, more like he was curious as to how I would finish the story.

I gave a sheepish smile, "I'm afraid what I have told you is all I can remember, up until last week when I showed up in a room at the top of the Silver Tower."

He smiled, "What an interesting case of amnesia."

Nisvārtha cleared his throat, "Regardless of how she got here, Kendra is close to her first change and is experiencing discomfort. We came to see if help could be given to her."

"And it will be," Master Garuda assured us. "There is a potion we have created that will cause a fledgling phoenix to shift."

"You want to force her shift?" Suruli looked unsure. "Is that not dangerous?"

"We have used it many times for fledglings who have difficulty shifting naturally," Master Garuda explained. "Or when the pain becomes too much. It is perfectly safe."

I didn't trust him. Not with my life and certainly not to help me. I had just come to terms with the fact that I was not human, but I still wasn't ready to become something else in both body and mind.

But my head throbbed with each beat of my heart. My bones and my muscles had escalated from soreness to a pain that never ceased. I was too scared of my gift to use it and return home, I had no control over it. I was afraid of what would happen if I did go home. Would I change into a giant bird? Would they be afraid? Havala had almost died when she tried to shift on her own, what if something went wrong and I was alone?

I swallowed. No, home was not an option. I was one of these people, and I needed their help. If I ever wanted to see my family again I would need to learn control.

I met Master Garuda's gaze, then looked past him to the too intelligent eyes of Śānti, "Alright, I'll do it. I'll take the potion if you think it will help."

"Excellent!" Master Garuda said, and he told me to gather my friends, or any other kind of support I wished. He went on to mention that the first shift is emotionally overwhelming, so friends would be a good thing to have.

Śānti left to get the potion, while Suruli went to get our friends. Master Garuda left to attend to other things, and then I sat alone in the room with Nisvārtha.

He didn't fill the silence with meaningless chatter, and for that I was grateful. I needed to process this before it happened.

He did ask me one question though, "Are you nervous?"

I shook my head, "Terrified." I looked at him, "Do I have a reason to feel this way?"

He held my gaze for a long time, but never answered.