Chapter Three: In Which I Get My First Taste Of Magic

A pause.

A silence.

The birds even stopped chirping, or perhaps I simply wasn't hearing them. My brother may be a mongrel, but he was still my brother. A drop from this height would maul him or worse!

I had a moment of wild fantasy where I felt like Perié. I wished, willed, begged that he could be right. That my special shawl could help him fly.

I could feel my blood boil. I could feel electricity prickle at my fingertips.

"Wahoo!" Perié's voice shouted. My heart skipped a beat. The wind changed direction a little, and he came up, my shawl clutched in his hands, his arms spread like a gliding bird.

A pause.

A shout.

"Perié!"

He laughed. "See Avaká! I told you it was magic!"

"Perié get down from there! You're going to break your neck!"

Satisfied with the proof he had gathered for now, Perié turned his arms to glide towards me.

The wind picked up however, pushing him towards the cliff face. He rolled forwards, crashing into the grass at my feet.

He recovered quickly, stumbling to his feet. I snatched my shawl from him and gave it a once over. The strands had held, thankfully, but there were several dirt and grass stains from Perié's fall.

"This is going to take ages to wash out Perié!"

"Did you miss the part where I flew?!" He said incredulously, not the least bit concerned for my anger. "I told you the gypsy was magic! I can't wait to tell Mama and Papa!"

And he took off again.

Instead of running after him like I probably should have, I stared at the shawl in my hands.

He had flown.

He had been right.

It was magic.

I had the urge to jump off the cliff myself, but decided against it. What if it didn't work for me? What if it was only a one time thing, or it only worked at one time of day, and that time had passed? In all the stories I'd heard, magic tended to have very specific rules.

That's the problem I always had, Scout. I never understood why magic had rules. It was supposed to push pass our limits into new worlds. But it didn't really.

And besides, magic was something only nobles like the kings had. Yet here it was, in my hands.

I shook my head and tied my shawl firmly around my neck before taking off after Perié.