Chapter One: In Which I Tell You A Story You Ought To Already Know

I'd heard the stories. Of course I had. Everyone had.

You mean you haven't?

Gosh. Well settle down Scout, its story time.

The two greatest kings of our age are mortal enemies. They rule over two kingdoms; the Starlands and the Crosslands. Running a gap between the two is Trifecta, that's where I live.

The Legend of the Lands is an old Trifecta bedtime story. According to it, the two kings used to be like brothers, until tragedy drove them apart.

And what could drive two men apart?

Why a woman of course.

The woman – who's name changes depending on whose telling the story – was a mysterious figure cloaked in powerful magic. It was her that made the two friends in the first place, and it was her that gave them their magic and power.

Now, I've never personally met King Francis or King Peter, but according to the story, the girl carved bondment symbols into their hands when they were young. King Francis has a star carved into his left palm and a circle carved into his right. King Peter has a circle carved into his left hand, and circle carved into his right.

The idea is that the cross is King Francis' symbol, and the star is King Peter's. The circle is the symbol of the woman, and she's supposed to have a cross carved into her left palm, and a star carved into her right. According to the legend, if they all hold hands with the woman in the middle, their magic will combine and goodness knows what they could do.

No one in Trifecta has ever seen the woman though. They say she died and the two kings blame each other for her death.

Thus, we have our bitter rivalry.