3; into the maze

a normal day in the glade... until Thomas does something not normal

♚♚♚

He dreamt the same dream as the night before. At first all he saw was the top of the box as it was sent up. But then he was seeing outside of the box and was looking down at it. The scene changed and he was looking at a brunette girl. "Thomas," he heard her voice echo in his mind. Then the everything changed again and he was watching a woman walking across a room in a full white suit. "WCKED is good," another female voice spoke and it wasn't the girl he had seen, but the woman. "Don't make it easy on them," she said again. He was thrown from different rooms to see different faces as if his mind was glitching until it stopped on the brunette again. "Thomas, everything's going got change," she spoke but her lips were unmoving. Suddenly he was staring at a boy in a water filled tank, arms thrashing around the small container. "WCKED is good," he spoke, images flashing in his brain for a second before disappearing as quick as they came. Water surrounded him, he struggled to breathe. Then he was lying on a table surrounded by surgeons, he heard whispers about how to remove the memories but only for a period of time. The girl who kept appearing lay on a table beside his own and the two reached out to connect their fingers with each other's. "Thomas, you have to choose," the old woman spoke again, her voice loud inside his head. And then he was inside the box again, pushing his body up with a gasp.

Thomas awoke with a jump, the air leaving his lungs for a moment. It was almost morning, light dim in the sky. No one would probably be up for a little while. He looked around and noticed Chuck asleep in his hammock, causing his almost panic attack to cease until he could breathe again.

He looked over his shoulder and turned when he saw three people standing beside a maze door. Alby, Newt and Minho. He watched as the the leader and the runner keepers took off running into the open maze and tilted his head upward a bit as Newt backed away from the door. Why would Alby be going into the maze? Where they going to look for Ben?

Thomas fell back into his hammock and turned his eyes to the floor where he noticed Scott had scooted closer to him. Muttering some incoherent words, Thomas dropped his feet to the ground and began getting ready for the day.

♚♚♚

"But why would Alby be going into the maze?" Thomas asked his earlier thought up question. He was sat on a log beside Chuck who was carving into the small chunk of wood again. "I mean, he's- he's not even a runner."

Newt and the Parrish guy - who had offered to take Thomas' job while he went on break for some unknown reason - stood a few feet away from the two sitting on the log, chopping at the roots of a tree with long blades known as machetes. Newt lifted his blade from the ground and turned to Thomas. "Things are different now," he answered, almost too quiet for Thomas' ears, but he heard them even if just barely. "Alby went to retrace Ben's footsteps before sundown," he spoke louder that time.

"Look, are you gonna help?" Newt then questioned, looking up at Thomas in slight annoyance, aiming his machete toward the tree root. Parrish kept quiet during the conversation, chuckling lightly at the blonde beside him before taking another swing at the roots.

"So, he's gonna go back to where Ben was just stung—" before Thomas could finish, Newt interrupted, "Alby knows what he's doing... Alright?" Newt said then after a minute of hesitation added, "He knows better than any of us."

"What does that even mean?" Thomas questioned, unable to keep a few of the infinite amount of questions locked inside his brain. They just spilled from his mouth before he could even think about it.