Happy Birthday To Me

Ten Years Ago

Hey, I'm Calvin. The Blood Valley Pack's Beta Jr.

And like every stereotypical werewolf story my birthday is today which meant I was "supposed" to find a mate and possibly inherit the beta title.

Yeah.......I wasn't interested in all that jazz. I just wanted to live my life.

"Calvin!" Looking up and seeing Quincy running toward me brought a small smile to my face.

He tripped and fell face forward.

My smile faded from my face and I rushed toward him.

I stood up next to him and he looked up at me.. He suddenly started giggling. "You got so big!"

I roles my eyes playfully. "You fell Quincy. You're on the ground."

"Oh, yeah." He chuckled and slowly stood up brushing himself off.

I looked down at the smaller boy in front of me. I remember when my dad found him. He was a malnourished, skittish, nameless, rouge wolf wondering our borders. They wanted to kill him but I begged for him and I took him under my wing...well paw.

It took two years to get him to how he is now but he's just slightly more childish seeing he spent most of his life in his wolf form. I taught him everything he knows.

**flashback****

I walked over to the skittish wolf who kept glancing around the room and barking at anyone who tried to touch him.

I stood next to him on his bed as he stared at me. I outstretched my hand to him and he started to growl. I didn't show any fear and continued to offer my hand to him.

He sniffed my hand, licked it and then started rubbing his head against it. I smiled and took this to mean he trusted me.

"Can you shift back?" I asked.

He tilted his head and continued to stare at me. I asked him again and he did the same thing.

He probably didn't learn to speak or he doesn't understand what I wanted him to do. I thought to myself.

"Can you speak?" I asked rubbing the fur on his neck.

He rubbed his head along my arm, staring up at me with big green eyes. I better try and get him to shift back. I can't mindlink with him since we aren't from the same pack.

I looked around the clinic room and found what I was looking for. The pill. It forced you to shift back when you were incapable of doing so. It burned but not too much to hurt him.

I put it in my palm and stretched it out to him. He sniffed it and then stared at me, as if asking what it was. "Don't worry it won't hurt you." I said rubbing his fur with my other hand.

Seeming to trust me, he took it into his mouth and swallowed it.

He started to whimper and took shorter breaths. His fur started to recede and his bones realigned under his skin. Shifting him back to human.

As soon as the shift was over his breathing returned to normal and he stopped whimpering.

I saw a cute frail boy left in the place of the small silver wolf. I reached out to touch his cheek and he looked up at me his large emerald eyes shining in the light. I pulled back my hand, maybe I shouldn't touch him.

He smiled and reached up cupping my face in his hands. "Papa, you're back."

I was confused and then it dawned on me. I must have looked like whoever left him behind.