Chapter Fifteen- Cups in the Air, Everybody Let's Take Shots

Violet

I figured the party would have ended when the Irish left, and so the evening after the Gallagher's visited, I headed up the stairs towards my room expecting peace, and time to plot my revenge against Vitale Fierro. One way or another, I would make him regret walking away from me, and then stopping me from dancing at last night's party.

Apparently, the party was not in fact over.

"Violet!" I heard someone call, and turned around with a flinch. Ever since I'd told Vitale I knew someone in the hacking business, I'd been worried sick that someone was going to kill me randomly. Instead, I turned to see Benito and Cheridan smiling up at me. I waited for them to reach me, and then cocked my head in question.

"Need something, guys?" I asked, unable to help my smile after learning about Cheridan's little secret. I'm going to be an aunt! Cheridan was the best friend I'd had in a long time, maybe ever, and I was ecstatic for her.

"Actually, we were about to head up to the game room to play some pool with the other guys," Benito answered. "Some of the club girls and extended cousins are over and everyone is celebrating last night's success."

"We were wondering, would you like to join?" Cheridan asked. I raised my eyebrows in surprise and then frowned.

"I'm still a prisoner," I reminded her. "No one likes me, remember?"

"Nah," Benito cut in. "Most of the guys, save Fausto, are fine with you nowadays. Fine with you, or at least not threatened. Especially after you discovered the rat a few weeks ago. You'll be fine."

"I thought you hated me," I told Benito, and he shrugged.

"Cher likes you, and you've been helping out around here more than you think, so I don't care what you do, as long as you're not against my family." When he mentioned that I'd been helping, I thought I saw a hint of knowing and wondered if he knew about the hacker. I didn't want to ask though, so I shrugged and nodded.

"I guess it couldn't hurt," I agreed, and Cheridan's face lit up.

"Come on!" she coaxed, taking my arm and leading me after Benito. She whispered something in his ear, which he laughed at, but I didn't hear anything other than "excited."

We came to a stop in front of the game room doors and Cheridan immediately pushed through. I heard some whoops and hollers upon her entrance, all which were silenced as soon as the group inside saw Benito. I tentatively followed in suit, not sure what to expect when I entered. Surprisingly, I was only met with a few glances and a nod here and there. I was undoubtedly relieved by the lack of attention, and quickly moved to stand by Cheridan.

I was only slightly uncomfortable with this change of situation, as everything was uncharacteristically casual in the game room that evening, but I also enjoyed the change of pace. Lately, with all the mess caused by the Russians, things had been tense, but I guess the success with the Irish had lightened spirits. After a minute, I loosened up my shoulders and allowed myself to relax back into my usual demeanor. Talking casually with Cheridan was brightening my mood.

Until I saw Vitale, that was.

He was bent over the pool table, facing away from us, and readying his shot. I wasn't paying much attention to the cue ball, however. I was more preoccupied with staring at his a$$ through his jeans, and remembering what said a$$ looked like bare. Very fit, and smackable, if you were wondering.

The sound of pool balls slapping together and one sinking into a basket snapped me out of my trance, and I looked up too see Vitale grinning at his opponent, another cousin named Giovanni that was around fairly often. Vitale laughed and turned around until he saw me. His laughed ceased, but his smirk did not as he walked towards us. I saw Cheridan shoot him a murderous glare from next to me, but he didn't waiver in his gait. When he was close enough to touch, he stopped, eyes locked on mine. I wonder what he saw in them that made his smile falter. It was back in a flash, though, and I wondered if I'd imagined it.