He sounds like a jealous little girl. 

"Marc made it certain that I got the chance to act on revenge a bit." He said it as if it were a goof thing. 

"You're a hunter!" Someone blurted the obvious.

"Isn't that--

Before Jerome got to finish his sentence, men piled on top of him flattening his sorry ass flat like a pancake.

He groaned, "Get off you me you idiots!"

"A smart person wouldn't have screamed the whole world he was plotting against them, idot." I rolled my eyes and palmed my face in frustration.

“Are you okay Alpha?” Lionel asked, offering me his hand.

This kid was someone I could trust.

“Thanks, I’m fine…just a bit tired from all this.”

I didn’t need to elaborate what this meant, but Lionel understood. “Don’t give up Alpha Lucca, I still believe in your leadership.” His words touched me in a way I’ve never felt before.

Gratitude

I guess that’s what I felt. Did my dad feel this way when he was with his men? As a kid, I watched my father’s leadership, but I never considered the bond between him and his men. I’ve always thought of it as an Alpha among his people, who swore to protect his subjects at all costs. I've always thought being Alpha was an obligation.

I guess it was more than that, now that I think about it.

“What do we do with him Alpha?” Brian, the guy that usually served as my informer came up to me and pointed at Jerome man-piled on the ground.

“I want at least five men guarding him at all times.”

“Yes sir.”

“You have a way of picking your team.” An elder whispered from behind me.

“I assure you sir, he will be dealt with and this was a one time mistake. This pack takes choosing a Beta seriously. He was once entrusted to be my right-hand-man, but now I’ve realized friendship isn’t the right way to choose them.”

The elder nodded once. “The last one ran away and now this one betrays you. I knew this pack was a bad idea in the first place.” He grumbled under his breath.

“If you do not like it here, then why did you not just leave! Instead you stayed and became a part of this.”

He snorted. “Do you even know my name?”

It took me a second to recollect, but I knew. “Bruce Wallaby, you joined the pack five years after my father became the Alpha.”

“And do you know why I joined? I’m sure you would know because as the Alpha’s son it is required for you to know all our information.”

“You’re wife and mate, Dorothy Wallaby, she was part of our pack and she didn’t want to leave it.”

He nodded. “And because of her I stayed and when she died, I was left to raise our two daughters.”

His daughters were probably with the rest of the pack, which resided in the main house hours away from our training ground. I haven’t been in that place for months and I wished to take Selene there and introduce her to the rest of the pack as their Alpha female.

 Just two more days left, i thought. 

“ So why didn't you just leave after she died? I knew you didn't like this pack. You could have asked permission from me and another Alpha to move into a new pack. I would have granted it. This is a new world, a new generation. I would never steal from anyone's freedom."