8: Friends

They weren't much further by ten-o-clock. The three young survivors sat at the edge of a creek taking a break to eat, drink, fill their water bottles, plan, and chat. They learned lots about their new friend Dylan, she lived in the city they were in, she played sports and kept active, and she and Jenna went to grade school together.

"Wait, you're Dylan! Oh my gosh I remember now," Jenna exclaimed.

"Took you long enough," Dylan giggled in reply.

Suddenly they heard something move nearby. They all shut up and poked their heads around the small, uncrushed building they were hiding behind. Much to their surprise, there were two more girls there, one had blonde hair, bangs and blue eyes, the other had brown hair and brown eyes. They were scratching pictures in the mud with sticks. Jenna guessed that this was their house, and they were entertaining themselves by drawing, they were both good at it. Eric shifted his weight and stepped on a small twig, it snapped, the two girls stopped talking and turned to look at the group.

"Jenna?" The brunette asked.

"Dylan?" The other asked.

Dylan and Jenna nodded.

"Remember us?" The brunette seemed very excited. Jenna and Dylan shook their heads.

"It's me kayla, and this is Emma," The blonde cried. "We went to school together. Emma was your best friend, Jenna."

"Oh my goodness you two!" Dylan was very excited to see them. 

"Wow! how many people are going to be brought back together by this invasion?" Jenna was ecstatic along with Dylan. Eric stood where he was, rocking onto his heels, his hands behind his back. 

"This is Eric, Jenn's husband," Dylan introduced. Eric gave the girls a curt nod.

Emma and Kayla helped them to a meal, they were grateful to have more than just snacks. Their lunch was hot and delicious, they didn't savour it much.

"So what brought Dylan to you two?" Kayla wondered.

"She was being shot at outside of our house. How about you two?" Jenna replied.

"Well, Emma's neighborhood was being attacked, and my house is just down the street and around the corner from her house, so she came to me."

Jenna, Dylan and Eric explained their plan to Emma and Kayla, they wanted to come too. There was no reason to leave them behind, so they packed up their stuff. It was noon and they had finished their lunch, so they set off. This adventure would be easier, and more enjoyable with friends.