Chapter One: The Accident

Start from the beginning

I went towards my dresser again and pulled out a rectangle gift box. I wrapped it in white gift wrapping paper and topped it off with a golden bow. The wrapping looked terrible, like a five year old had done it. The paper was crumbled and tapped oddly, Gift wrapping wasn't exactly my thing.

I strolled out of my room to find my parents making out in front of the doorway. "AHHH! Gross!" I yelled, shielding my eyes.

"Oh please. How do you think you were made?" My mom said, fixing my Fathers dress shirt. Oh god, a mental image that I really didn't want. I shook my head furiously, squeezing my eyes shut; my father's chuckles brought me out of my disturbed thoughts.

"Okay. You read Lily-Bear?" My dad asked me. I nodded, smiling at him. Lily-Bear was my special nickname that he only calls me, he calls me that all the time.

"Okay let's go then." My mom said, grabbing her purse.

I felt like I was missing something... hmm.. "Oh wait!!"I yelled running back into my room to get my snapback. I put it on backwards and checked myself out in the mirror. I smiled faintly before walking back to my parents who were waiting in the living room.

My mom smiled at me before opening the door and leading the way to the car.

My Dad went in the driver's seat while my Mother rode shot gun which left me with the back seat.

"So how was school?" My father asked, making eye contact through the review mirror that hung from the car's ceiling. "It was okay." I shrugged my shoulders. I love to learn but I could do without seeing or talking to some of my peers.

"You should get out more. You're always on that damn Xbox. You should go and socialize. I just don't want you to miss out." He sighed.

My father loved the fact that I wasn't a trouble maker and that my Saturday and Friday nights consisted of nothing but food, music and Xbox with the occasional skateboarding out front of the house. Most kids my age would go to parties and do stupid, reckless things. My father loved all of that but he just didn't want me to miss out on the 'teenage experience'.

I sigh, "I know daddy."

I don't really like to talk about it. I prefer to isolate myself from kids my age, it's my defense mechanism. Last thing I need is to feel bad about myself for not being a normal, stupid teenager.

I guess he took the hint because the rest of the ride remained quiet.

We stopped at my Fathers favorite Italian restaurant. We entered and were seated in a booth.

"Can I get you some drinks while you guys figure out what you want to eat?" The waiter asked, taking out his pen and notepad. 

My father nodded, "I'll have an iced tea. My Wife will have a Sprite and my Daughter will have a Cola. "My Father knew me and my mother so well that he usually ordered for us.

The waiter nodded, writing down our drinks. A few minutes later he came back and handed us our drinks.

"What are you going to get Lily-Bear?" My Father asked, looking up from his menu.

"Pizza!!" I yelled.

My Father smiled, "Of course."

"I'm getting Baked Ziti." My mom said, looking up at my father.

"Okay, I'll get Spaghetti then." My Father said as he took the menus and handed it to the waiter.

"Daddy?" I asked.

"Yes Lilly-bear?" He asked. I took the box out from under the table and handed it to him.

"I wanted to wait after dinner but I couldn't. Happy Birthday." I smiled at him.

He took a second to admire my special hardcore wrapping skills. "Hmmm.. Let me guess... You wrapped it yourself."

I smiled brightly and nodded. "You know it." I said, taking a sip of my soda.

His eyes lit up when he opened it, "A tie! Thank you! It's Navy! My favorite color. I love it." He smiled at me.

I slipped out of my side of the booth and walked to my Father to give him a hug. "Happy Birthday Daddy." I said, squeezing him tight.

"Thank you, My angel." He whispered back in my ear.

I sat back down to enjoy a dinner with my family.

~~~~

"That was a great dinner. Thank you sweetie." My Father said, smiling at my mother. My Mother rested her head on the seat of the car and smiled at him. 

"Anything for you my love." She whispered back. My mother switched on the radio and leaned back in her seat.

I watched as my mother slipped her hand into my father's freehand as he drove. It's so sweet that after all this time.. They're still in love like the first time they met. 

I leaned back, relaxing a bit. Today's been a great day. 

My father began to drive as the light turned from red to green, I turned my head to look out the window. Out of nowhere I saw a car speed towards us, picking up its pace.

The next thing I knew was hearing my Mother's screams. It was like someone pressed the slow motion button as I watched my Mother's head hit against the dashboard, her body moving like a rag doll all over the car. I screamed for my father at the top of my lungs. My eyes wandered over to him as he tried to protect my mother and I, using his body as a shield.

My body jerked to the side, hitting the window, making it crack on impact. I then felt a warm liquid run down my hair.

Shards of glass, flying in the air. The hard sound of a metal colliding filled my ears. My head jerked forward, hitting my mother's head rest. My arm slammed into the car door, pain came immediately after.

I suddenly felt the car turn over. Shards of glass, embedding themselves in my skin.

The car flipped over 3 times, landing on the hood. My seat belt did its job, I hung upside down looking at my parents. 

I looked over at my mother; she hung upside down, not moving. "Umma?" She didn't respond. "Umma?" I reached over and tried to shake her awake. I began to cry, "Umma!?" I heard a groan from my father's direction.

I turned my attention to my father, "Appa?" He woke up from the sound of my voice.

"Do-Don't worry my Lilly. Appa will get us out of this." He managed to fall out of his seat belt and crawl over to me, ignoring the shards of glass that was probably stabbing his hands and knees as he crawled.

He tried to undo my seat belt but struggled, "I-It won't open." He tried even harder.

Honk Honk

We turned our head to the direction of the honk. It was a truck, heading right for us. It was going too fast to stop.

Honk Honk

"Appa!" I yelled, fear in my voice. I could see the panic in his face as he tried even harder to undo the seat belt. "Appa!"

"Don't worry Lili-bear, Appa will protect you."

Before I knew it... He covered my body with his, shielding me from it. 

I felt the impact as the truck hit our car.

I hung there upside down, pain shooting through my body. It seemed like closing my eyes would take away the pain. My vision, blurred. I could see a dark, blurry figure moving abit.

"HELP!" I heard a familiar voice scream, it sounded hoarse. I didn't have enough energy to keep my eyes open. My lids became heavier and heavier. I felt my clothes dampen with a warm, thick liquid.

"Appa." I whispered. 

That's when everything went black.

"I love you Lily-bear." My father whispered to me in a hoarse voice. "Appa loves you." His voice sounded like it was fading.

I let the darkness take me.