8

Reader's POV

When I made it to garage B-400, I saw a woman standing in front of a small group of cadets. From her appearance and clothes, I guessed that she wasn't a genesis recruit. She wore a formal female military uniform consisting of a blouse, skirt and pumps. Her hair was in tight curls and she lacked the sturdy frame that all adult genesis recruits had.

As I got closer, I could hear her speaking. I reconized her voice as the one from the PA system.

'This mission is very important. There is a group who calls themselves the 'Avengers'. They work alongside an organization called 'SHIELD'. They are our worst enemies'

The woman handed a flashdrive to Ben Tono. His eyes flashed through his glasses and he nodded in respect.

'Take that flashdrive and use it to steal their data. It contains all of their information. Future missions, weapons, aircraft and more. Be back before daylight and if you mess this up...you will be punished'

The female snapped her fingers and a trio of soldiers ushered us all outside towards the truck. Thoughts raced through my mind. 'Punished?' I didn't want any part of that, so I planned to do the best I could to complete this mission. I climbed aboard the very back of the truck. Judy sat next to me and gave an almost nonexistent smile.

'Are you nervous?' She asked.

'A little. I'm not sure what punishment that woman had in mind'

Judy flipped her raven-colored hair out of her eyes.

'Don't worry, I'll be with you the whole time. Jeremias and Katie can handle the other two blockheads who call themselves part of the 'Thief' branch'

I slightly chuckled but that moment was ruined when the truck began to pull off. I watched through the moonlight as the base got smaller and smaller until it was completely hidden by the trees and other flora. The truck would take us to the edge of the city. It would be our job to do the rest. When the military vehicle stopped, we all got off and overlooked the city from a cliff.

'That's it. New York City' Katie murmered.

'But where are we supposed to go? She didn't exactly give us an exact destination point' Todd exclaimed.

I scanned the city until my eyes rested on a skyscraper with a giant 'A'.

'That might be it' I pointed to the building.

The others looked in the direction of where my finger was. Relief, anxiety and other unknown emotions were displayed on their faces.

'Well, what are you dweebs waiting for? Lets move it!' Judy huffed as she began to climb down the cliff.

We all followed her until we made it to the entrance of the city. Besides the lights, the city was pretty much lifeless. By standing on the ground, the building was out of our view. So we climbed up and jumped from roof to roof towards the tower. As we got closer to the heart of the city, I could see people. They were too busy shoving pass each other to notice us.

When we got to the tower, we stood at the base of it and looked up. It was much taller now that we were here and from what I saw, there was no way to get in.

'I have the USB. We just have to find the entrance' Ben whispered.

I sighed and tapped my chin. We mustn't fail this mission. But this rookie team of amateurs was struggling already and time was running out.