6

Reader's POV

I walked into the cafeteria. All of the adult cadets were chatting amongst themselves. I walked to the food cart and grabbed a banana and a water bottle. I looked around and saw Freddie. He was waving at me, a signal to join him in the corner. But I also saw Marissa, the blonde from last night. She was sitting at a table in the center of the cafeteria along with three other people. I mentally argued with myself. Should I join my friend who I've known for years or my new friend who I've known for hours. I walked towards Marissa and glanced at Freddie. He stared at me with a look of shock, sadness and hatred on his face. I shrugged and turned to Marissa and her friends. She smiled.

"This is Judy" She pointed to a Korean girl with short hair.

"This is Paris" A long haired platnium blonde smiled at me.

"And this is Jeremias" The male gave me a finger solute.

"I'm Y/N"

From the corner of my eye, I could see Freddie aggressively dump his food in the trash can and walk passed me. He didn't bother to speak or even look at me. I gulped and sunk in my chair.

"What's that guy's problem?" Judy asked.

"He's my friend. And I just betrayed him" I whispered too low for anyone to hear.

Judy stretched out underneath the table. Her cammies were red. That meant that she was a guard. This was great. We could go on missions together.

"So what do you think about the superhero-wannabes?" Paris questioned.

I still didn't know the truth. These guys were obviously best friends. And best friends agree on everything.

Judy ran her fingers through her hair. "They're probably just a few teenagers who want attention and are playing dress-up"

"Are you sure that this is true?" I asked.

The foursome turned and looked at me.

"We'll have to show you later. Right now, we have training to do" Jeremias pointed to the clock.

"This evening, lets meet in the main room" Marissa suggested.

We all nodded and scurried off. I wondered as I headed to the training room. 'We'll have to show you later' What did Jeremias mean? When I made it to the Blue Room or the training room for cadets trained as assassins I paired up with a random guy. Freddie was nowhere to be seen and I was getting worried. I wasn't trying to replace him as my friend. I just made new ones. We would still be together. Sighing, I stood in starting position.

------------------------------------

Me, Marissa, Judy, Paris and Jeremias sat together in the Main Room. Other than the five of us, it was empty.

"Y/N, you have to swear to not tell anyone else" Jeremias ordered.

I quickly nodded.

Jeremias reached into his side pocket and pulled out a phone of some sort. My eyes widened.

"How did yo..."

He interrupted me.

"That's not important. What's important is that we show you this photograph"

"One night, Judy and Jeremias were out on a mission to steal files. The group was almost successful but someone stopped them. From what Judy and Jeremias told Paris and I, it was a group consisting of six people. Or five people and this green...thing. It was dark and you could barely see anything but Jeremias was able to take this photo"

Jeremias showed me the photograph. My eyes widened to the size of saucers. This group was real. They were telling the truth. These were actual people and not gossip or Photoshop. From the looks, they were too big to be children. They must be an actual superhero team. But superheroes? Why? When? How?

Jeremias put his phone away and looked at me.

"One more thing; why do you have a phone?" I asked.

He shrugged.

"Its our only way of communicating with the outside world. We can only watch movies and TV shows though. But every now and then, we can watch the daily news"

We were all silent for a while before Paris spoke up.

"Well, I think I should depart. I have a meeting with Mr. K. You know that he's way worse than his older sister when he's pissed" She looked worried. "I'll see you guys when I can" She scurried off.

A couple of hours went by and the remaining four of us spent it watching Godzilla. Marissa and Judy ended up leaving too, leaving Jeremias and I alone to finish the movie. We were at the ending part between Godzilla and the MUTOs when the phone died. Jeremias groaned and put it back into his pocket. We walked back to our dorms in silence before I broke it.

"What do you know about the hero group?" I asked.

"Judy and I were with a group that is specially trained. We're told more than average cadets. But since you're my friend, I can tell you"

I felt a twinge of jealously strike me. We have the same overall role here but he's in a secret group with other random cadets? What makes him so special? And Judy.

"There's this organization called SHIELD. We had successfully broken in and downloaded our wanted data from a computer but the hero group stopped us. They were able to snatch our flash drive from us but we all were able to escape unharmed. All in all, they call themselves the Avengers"

I swallowed. These guys sound pretty good. They were able to almost defeat even our most highly trained cadets.

"I guess I'll see you tomorrow?" He asked.

I smiled at him and nodded "Sure"

He smiled back and hiked up the stairs.

I felt worried. The Avengers? Great. Now there's a threat to the Genesis Program and HYDRA itself. But my loyalty will forever remain with HYDRA, the best in the world.