(31) Be Strong

If I could imagine what being dead felt like it would be how I felt before I started to regain consciousness. Silent, cold, dark, painless. As my senses began resurfacing I felt the intense pounding in my head and it felt as though my arms were being ripped from their sockets because they had been bound back in an unatural position. It felt like it had been days, weeks even, since I had last been awake. Having no sense of time was terrifying.

I groaned trying to sit up failing miserably. My eyes squinted open and I looked around cautiously. I was in what seemed to be a basement of some kind. The floor was a filthy mess, with cracks and patches of broken concrete. The only light coming in was from the cracks in the floor boards above me. Cob webs littered almost every inch of the place and it smelled of dampness, mold, and urine. I coughed bringing up the dust on the ground that my cheek was pressed against. I knew I needed to get up but I felt so weak and my headache wasn't making matters any better.

I scooted toward one of the water stained walls that were spotted with mold and inched myself up using the wall to support myself. I now realized I must be in some sort of dingy abandoned restaurant or bar. There were broken cups and shot glasses around the room and there was an asortment of old dusty wine bottles along one of the walls.

I straightened myself upright feeling my matted sticky hair clinging to the wall and I noticed the blood stain on the floor where I had been laying. My head had obvioulsy been bleeding and the red color tinting the concrete let me know I had not been here long enough for it to turn the brown color of dried blood.

Flashes of my last memories fluttered my mind. Officer Burns had participated in the killing of my parents, Jackson was in trouble, and I was going to die. Pictures of Rayner and our last embrace popped into my head making a few tears stream my face. I'd likely never see him again. I sat against the wall tied thinking about my life and drifting in and out of conciousness for a few hours before I heard voices from above.

Panic struck my heart,  frantically I looked about for a place to hide. There was no where they would not find me and there was no way I'd be quick enough due to my injuries. They could do with me what they pleased, and there was no way I could defend myself. Tears leaked out of my eyes streaking both cheeks. I just hoped whatever was in store for me was quick.

I gasped when the door at the top of the staircase in the opposite corner of the room opened loudly echoing off the walls. Someone slowly descended the stairs teasingly making my heart jump with each heavy step they took. All too soon Officer Burns was standing at my feet smiling down at me. I felt very small, and very vulnerable. I didn't dare look up at him, instead I focused on the tear in the knee of my leggings and the blood that seeped from the small scrape there.

"Well goodmorning sleepy head." I shivered at his chilling voice. I didn't want him to see the fear in my eyes because I knew it'd only get him excited. "For awhile I thought I had killed you." He chuckled darkly. "I'm glad I didn't though because now we get to have all the fun we had planned." He crouched down to my level and I kept my gaze else where. "Look at me." He demanded.

I disobeyed unable to lift my eyes to look into his because I was too afraid to come to terms with reality. He grabbed my chin roughly and I shut my eyes tightly sucking my quivering bottom lip into my mouth. "Look at me!" He shouted slamming my already injured head into the wall. I cringed and  looked into his dark eyes with the worst glare I could muster.

"That's better." He smirked running a finger across my exposed collar bone. I cursed my sweater for betraying my shoulder. "I could devour you right here if we weren't on a time schedule." He teased flicking his tongue at me. My face contorted in disgust. I prayed to God he wouldn't rape me. I would not be able to handle it. I couldn't live with myself. "Let's go meet the man of the hour." He grinned pulling me up roughly in one swift motion and slinging me over his shoulder cupping my ass in the process. I kicked at him making him chuckle, he knew I wasn't half as strong as him and I hated giving him that satisfaction.