Knowledge Comes With a Price

Start from the beginning

"Can you read them?" Thorin asked.

Lord Elrond led them outside and placed the map on a large table made of crystal. "These runes were written on a Midsummer's Eve by the light of a crescent moon nearly two hundred years ago. It would seem you were meant to come to Rivendell. Fate is with you, Thorin Oakenshield; the same moon shines upon us tonight."

The light of the moon appeared out of the clouds and began to shine on the map. Talia was able to see a few markings on the map that weren't there before. "Stand by the grey stone when the thrush knocks, and the setting sun with the last light of Durin's Day will shine upon the keyhole." Lord Elrond read.

"What's Durin's Day?" Talia asked.

"It's the start of the Dwarves' new year, when the last moon of autumn and the first sun of winter appear in the sky together." Gandalf explained.

"So, it's similar to the winter solstice?"

"That's right." the Wizard told her.

Thorin frowned. "This is ill news. Summer is passing. Durin's Day will soon be upon us."

"We still have time." Balin told him.

"Time for what?" Talia asked.

"To find the entrance. We have to be standing at exactly the right spot at exactly the right time. Then, and only then, can the door be opened." Balin explained.

Lord Elrond narrowed his eyes a little. "So, this is your purpose. To enter the mountain."

Thorin turned his head. "What of it?" he challenged.

"There are some who would not deem it wise." the Elf lord said, and handed the map back to the Dwarf king.

"Who do you mean?" Gandalf asked.

"You are not the only guardian to stand watch over Middle Earth."

Talia walked back with Balin and Thorin in silence. When they got to the Dwarves, Thorin simply walked on, clearly in a mood. Talia looked to see that Kili was lying on his bedroll alone, and the young woman decided to take the opportunity to make amends with him.

"Mind if I join you?" she asked. Kili looked at her with cautious eyes, and looked away. "Great. Thanks." Talia nodded and took a seat. Kili said nothing, and there was an awkward pause. "Look, Kili, I didn't tell anyone what happened, and I don't plan on telling." she started.

The Dwarf prince looked at her, somewhat shocked. "Really?"

"Yeah, really. You're my friend, first of all, and I've also never been one to gossip...unless it's about someone I really don't like."

Kili looked down, hiding his look of shame. "I...thought you were going to tell Thorin the first chance you got." he admitted.

The young woman widened her eyes at this. "Why would I tell Thorin anything at all?"

Kili paused. "I thought that you would give me away in order to win his favor. I know you two don't get along."

Talia had a lump in her throat. He seriously thought that she would betray their friendship to get in good standings with Thorin? "Kili, I don't even like your uncle! I wouldn't rat you out to him if my life depended on it!" she told him, her offense visible.

"I'm so sorry, I should have trusted you." She saw the look on his face in that moment. He was pleading.

Talia thought again, and couldn't exactly blame him for not trusting her. She'd already tasted some of Thorin's lighter punishment, and she didn't want to know what he'd do to Kili if he was ever caught crushing on an Elf. There was also the fact that she and Thorin hated each other. Kili probably thought she was desperate for Thorin to leave her be. It wasn't entirely his fault, and she really couldn't stay mad at him.