Chapter Eleven - Reality Bites

Bắt đầu từ đầu

"Coleen, tigilan mo na yan," Nanay Mary Ann interrupted. "Menggay, tulog ka muna, siguradong tinatamaan ka na ng jetlag. Mamya na natin pagusapan 'to."

Sta. Maria, Bulacan – May 31, 2016 11:30 PM

Tatay Ted was waiting by the door when they arrived. Maine walked to him and hugged him, to which he responded with a kiss on her head. Tatay Ted did not want to admit it but Maine was his favorite. She was so much like him, independent, loving, with a tough outer shell but all mush inside. This thing going on with Alden Richards worried him, he would hate to see Maine hurt again.

"May dapat ka bang ikwento samin, anak?"

"Tay, wala po. Hindi ko pa po siya sinasagot. Pero tay, mabait siya. Nagkasakit ako sa Venice, inalagaan niya ko, hindi rin siya mapagsamantala. Huwag po kayo magalit sa kanya."

"Hindi naman ako galit ah. Umayos lang siya ha, hindi uubra sakin yung artista siya. "

"Hindi daw galit pero parang may banta."

Her phone suddenly rang. There was no number registered, the words "private number" hinted that it might be an overseas call. Excitedly she answered the phone as she ran up to her room.

"Richard, home na ko."

"Wow. Ang sweet ha, reporting for duty?" The caller was not Richard and Maine was sorry she answered the phone.

"Miggy? O, bakit ka napatawag?"

"Sungit ha. Whatever happened to, how are you?"

"Sorry, sorry I just got back from Italy. So...ano? What's up?"

"Social media queen, I saw the news about you. Tutoo ba yon?" He sounded strangely sarcastic.

"Miggy. We haven't talked for almost a year, and now you call me just to confirm chismis? Ayos ha."

"So is it true?"

"What business is it of yours ba? I don't owe you any explanation on what's going on with me now."

"I ask because I care. I never stopped caring for you."

"Uhmmm, this, from the same guy who said he's so deeply rooted in New York and cannot imagine living anywhere else. But just like that, he's now based in Miami."

"Meng, it was a career move."

"Oh. Well thank you. So it's all about strategies and priorities pala. Apparently, moving out of New York can easily be decided on if it's for a career but not for a relationship."

"Ok, now I'm sorry I called."

"Who asked you to call?"

"Fine. I guess you can talk down on me because there's this pretty boy you're running around with. I never thought you were that shallow, Maine. Artista, for crying out loud."

"Look. I'm tired, I need a shower and my pretty boy artista will be calling soon. So fair warning, I'm dropping your call. Bye."

Mendoza Residence - June 01, 2016 5:30 AM

She couldn't sleep. Hay sepanx, the struggle is real. She missed Richard's arms around her, the way he held her close on their last night together. She missed his laugh, the way he bought all her jokes, even the corniest ones. Checking the time, she computed Lake Como time to be around 11:30 PM. She took her phone and messaged Alden.

"Still awake? Can't sleep." Almost immediately, she got a reply.

"Facetime tayo?"

"Yes! In five minutes."

She quickly brushed her teeth (weird, when he wouldn't be close enough to smell her breath), fixed her hair and changed from her pajamas to something more presentable. He was already online when she initiated the video call.

"Hi baby ko." He smiled widely, his dimple deepening. She felt her knees weakening.

"Hi Richard." She suddenly felt shy and self-conscious.

"Sorry for not calling earlier ha. We started shooting kanina and late na natapos. I actually just got to my room now. How's everything?"

"I had a long day. Delayed flight namin so late na ko nakauwi. Then sabog notifs ko sa Twitter and Facebook, someone circulated a photo of us again, this time kita na face ko."

"Really? Wait check ko ha. I went offline all day kasi nga first day ng shoot. Give me a minute." He scanned his phone, his brow furrowed as he read.

"Shit. They identified you already. Kumusta sina Tatay and Nanay, nagalit ba?"

"Hindi naman. Pero worried sila sa akin. They kept asking me kung sinagot na kita. Sabi ko hindi pa. To be honest, di ko alam kung mag-ano tayo ngayon. Ano ba expectations mo? Diba sa mga artista, di na uso ligawan, you just end up being together? Yun ba expectation mo satin?"

"Forget about the norm sa mga artista, di tayo ganon. Ikaw ang magsasabi kung mag-ano tayo, kasi ikaw lang naman hinhintay ko eh."

"Pero Richard, nakita mo ba response ng mga tao sakin? Ayaw nila sakin for you."

"Ganyan naman lagi sa umpisa. We can't please everybody so we won't try."

"Baka masira career mo sakin."

"How will that happen? We're both unattached, wala naman akong ka-loveteam. Maine, look. On my end, tapos na usapan, I am here for the long haul. But what about you? Sana willing ka to give us a chance, don't get discouraged by the negative comments."

"I'm not that fragile, Richard."

"Good."

"By the way, you need to know something. Miggy called me earlier."

His face changed, he suddenly had a guarded look on his face.

"What did he want?"

"He saw the article about us. Nakikibalita lang naman."

"What for?"

"I asked the same thing but he didn't say. Bayaan mo na."

"Let's not talk about negative things, babe. Ito na lang, I have good news for you. After my shoot, I have three days in Manila before I travel again. I asked Leysam to move my meet-and-greet events to another weekend so that I can see you sooner. I hope to see you kahit one day lang. Pwede ba?"

"I can't promise yet, babe. I'll ask Tonette if she can cover one flight cycle for me. What's with the smile, Faulkerson?"

"You called me babe. Kinikilig ako. Pa-kiss nga baby."

"Ayoko, nahihiya ako."

"Sige na baby, missed you so. It's easy, just bring your lips to the phone, sabay tayo. Bilang tayo."

"Sige na nga. One-Two-Threeeee....Mwahhh."

"See, that wasn't so bad? "

"Landi mo, Richard."