Chapter 18

It wasn't long before Barbra and I reached Ed's apartment, he had told us that he hid a key behind a thin layer of paint next to the door. The apartment wasn't very big but it was exactly what I'd expected from Ed. It was modern and cozy, everything in it's place and neat looking.

"Well I'm going to need you to call Jim before I leave, my side of the bargain and all." Barbra stated and I nodded, understanding that she wanted to be in the clear.

"Of course, I'll do it now." I took her phone that I had put into my pocket after calling Ed. She recited Jim's number and I dialled it, waiting for the rings.

"Jim Gordon." His voice rang through the line, sophisticated and professional, just like the couple of times I'd spoken to him.

"Jim? Hey it's Katerina Ferdine, I need you to make sure you aren't tracing this call and I want you to know that I'm safe." I replied my voice slightly shaky.

"Katerina? Where are you? Did that son of a bitch lay a hand on you?" He frantically spoke.

"Jim you need to calm down, I'm completely fine, I'm safe but if you know where I am it will put everyone in danger including you. Barbra helped me escape and I am going to somewhere Jerome won't find me but I need you to tell people I'm dead." I explained and Barbra smiled encouragingly toward me.

"Is Barbra there with you? Can I speak with her?" He asked, slightly calmer. I looked to Barbra questioningly, not knowing whether or not to say yes. She gave me a slight nod in approval.

"Yeah she's right here hold on." I said into the line and passed the phone to Barbra.

"Hello Jim." She said cheerfully. I couldn't hear the phone call so I just stood there awkwardly, not knowing what to do. "Yes she is safe, I'm going to tell them all she jumped out of a window. No she's not injured, yes I'm sure." With that she glanced back over to me. "You hurt kid?" She asked.

"Nope, all good." I replied.

"Hear that? She's fine, just come up with something! Look ginger won't come for her, we are gonna put her in hiding." She let out an exasperated sigh. "Jim, my end of the deal is I get off and you protect me. I delivered my side it's your turn." She stated.

"She helped me Jim, I would have died if she didn't save me, Jerome was going to kill me before she stepped in!" I exaggerated, winking at Barbra. It was the least I could do considering she just helped me escape.

"See? I saved her!" Barbra mouthed a 'thank you' and I shrugged with a smile.

"She did Jim, if I wasn't declared dead I would write a statement or whatever you call it." I continued. Barbra put the phone on speaker so I could finally hear him.

"Katerina are you sure you're safe?" He asked for the millionth time.

"Yes Jim! I promise you i'll keep in touch ok?" I groaned. "But you need to keep your deal with Barbra, she isn't dangerous to society, if she was she would have killed me ok?" I reassured him.

I secretly wanted Jim and Barbra back together anyway. The way Barbra talked about him you could tell she loved him.

"Barbra and I will speak about it later but for now I need you to keep me updated and if anything happens call me straight away ok?" Barbra rolled her eyes.

"Yes Jim, but please do not tell anyone about this, not even my dad. If it somehow got back to Jerome who knows what he would do." I replied.

"I won't, I have to go but I will file a report to stop the missing person search. Please stay safe, I don't want to find out you died for real." With that the phone clicked and the conversation was over.

"Look my work here is done, I'll see you round kid." Barbra turned to leave.

"Barbra?" I called and she stopped walking.

"Yeah?"

"Thank you." I whispered, my eyes tearing up. She got me out of that hell. She turned around with a soft smile on her face.

"Well turns out you're not too bad company, no problem." She wrapped her arms around me in a hug.

"You aren't a criminal." I said softly. "You just had a crappy childhood." She laughed at me and pulled away.

"Thanks... I guess. Listen stay safe, I don't wanna hear that all this went to waste cause you're stupid." She laughed and I laughed along with her.

"I will."

"Now I've gotta get back before the boys get home, I still have to rehearse the story. I will probably see you again sometime but til then goodbye." She gave me one last quick hug and I waved to her. She closed the door and I locked it behind her.

I wandered around the apartment, finding a glass in one of the kitchen cupboards I filled it with water and leant against the counter. I let out a long sigh and took a sip of the water. I did it. I really did it. I couldn't believe that in that short amount of time I had managed to get out of that house.

I was finally safe.

OHMYGOD GUYS!!!
Let's forget about the book for a sec.
I just saw Melanie Martinez in concert!!!
It was the most amazing night in my entire life not to mention it was the 1st anniversary of releasing the crybaby album!
She is the most adorable human on this planet and her vocals are phenomenal all the fans were lovely and I just couldn't deal with how amazing it was!