Years, that's how long we'd been together without talking about it.

Until he sat me down one day, after all my begging and told me,

'The man I considered to be my father... Died one day. ...well... He should've, I mean. I fused with his soul... Somehow.. Through a series of coincidences and chance meetings, our souls fused, before he died. And I became who I am.'

I said,

"So were you some kind of expiriment? How did you.. How do skeletons.. Reproduce..? Just uh.. Wondering."

"I was... Yes and no. I was partially an experiment. My brother was not. He was grown.. Organically.. Kinda....

Magically. I was grown with... Soul matter, from humans... Determination, actually... An accident kind of."

"So...?"

"One of the skeletons, the father, pulls out a rib, and gives it to the mother, she then uses her magic or her soul matter to create another life, another soul. A life. And it grows from that one rib."

"Oh... Huh."

He looked at me, his eye icy.

"Why do you ask?"

"Just wondering. I was just a bit confused."

"Oh. Okay."

And... So.. Yeah. Pretty much."

I looked at her.

"So... Where is he?"

She looked at the ground, "...He had a disease, in his bones. And... He was going to get treatment... He called me one day... Turns out... The doctors believe it to be terminal. They can't cure it."

"So that's... Why... You gave him that in your stories... But why did you die? Why did he kill so much?"

"He used to have... Nightmares about killing someone, in a dark hallway, and dying every time. He also used to dream about hurting someone he once cared about, but who had betrayed him."

"And why did he lose his arm?"

"Oh.. Right. The pain of protecting those you love... And getting hurt by them... His nightmares, again. Also? Because he's left handed... And so he'd block with his left hand, and I'd joke that one day it might get cut off."

"And the war?"

"There was a war in the past."

"Who's Chara?"

"A voice he mumbles about when he's sleeing, otherwise.. I don't know...."

"Frisk?"

"His friend.... From.. A long time ago..."

"Why'd they die?"

"They've died before."

"A promise?"

"He made a promise to someone once, to protect someone. He won't tell about it."

"All the death?"

"Symbolizes consequence, no can escape it."

"Segoe?"

"Memories."

"The blood over his head?"

"nightmares."

"Uh.. Carmine?"

"Betrayal."

"Bullet."

"Regret, lost opportunities."

"Ascension?"

"Shadows of the past."

"Resets?"

"The guy?"

"Both..?"

"Reset is a person G would mumble about in his sleep, but I don't know what Reset looks like, fully, and resets are something he seems to be afraid of, but keeps hidden from me."

"Other versions of himself?"

"Split personalities."

"Ascension vs Present him?"

"Ascension was his darker side, the version of his nightmares, his other version was who he was afraid to become."

"Oh..."

"Yeah."

"So...?"

"He's gone, yeah."

"I.. I'm sorry..."

"It's not your.. Fault."

"... Are my real parents alive?"

"I-"

There was a knock at the door.

...Knock Knock..

"Who's there" she yells.

"Dishes?"

"...dishes.. Who?"

"Dishes a bad joke."

She laughs softly, "okay, who is it really?"

"...Ryder."

"Oh."

I open the door, and stare up at the figure, a skeleton wearing a dark coat, with grey fur on the hood, it has patches of a dog-skull creature on the arms, and rolled up sleeves, he's wearing suspenders hanging on his dark grey jeans, and holds a cigarette in his hands, holes embrace the centers of his palms, and cracks cut up and down each side of his face.

Not Ryder.

She skids to the door, and peers out, a gasp escaping her lips.

"Oh god.." She buries her face under the side of his jaw, and he leans his head on hers.

"I'm sorry I'm so sorry"

"Shhh.." Her voice shakes, "it's okay.. Bones oh.. God you're okay.. Oh it's okay.."

Tears fall from her eyes, he wraps her in an embrace, kissing the side of her face, he brushes away her tears with a golden glow in his eye.

She lifts her hand to his face, her hand trembles, he clasps it, and puts it to his sternum, his soul warming her hand, glowing brightly under his assortment of bones, and then looks at her with the warm glance, loyalty set in locked jaw.

"I'm not going anywhere, it's okay.. I love you too much.. I couldn't leave you, sweet-heart." he whispers.

She looks at me and then at him and clasps her hands over her mouth.

He glances toward me and pauses, he traces a strange gap in his left set of ribs and his eye shivers.

"Heya..."

I think about the nicknames, and I take a shot in the dark,

"Heya... Dad."

My hands tremble, Fourteen and full of anxiety I look toward the concrete, my heart pounding.

I feel his arms shuddering, wrapping around me. I fee safe, for once in my life I feel secure.

I see his cigarette hit the ground.

For once, he's not smoking.