He listened and repeated her words in his mind. Though it was unintentional, there did exist a thin line between Nnadini & FAB5. Both were equally special to him, but he didn't realize it until today that Nandini had always wanted to be included in his golden circle of friends. He was happy to know she held him in such high regards as a friend, but he was sad that he hadn't been able to read her mind.
N then this promise of having her as his bff. Shit!! Not being able to remember his own words, his own promises was so frustrating, only one who had suffered through it could understand.

People perceive you as the same person, only you are an incomplete version of yourself. But in a small way he was thankful for going through that phase because as he was rediscovering every single day, he had undone quite a few mistakes in his 'Manik v2. 0' avatar, which he perhaps couldn't have done otherwise.

"I am solly Nandu" he said holding his ears. "I am really really solly"

"No no Manik, please sorry mat bolo. Friendship kabhi zabardasti nahi ki jati.. U r saying this to cheer me up and thats not real friendship Manik. I am ok being your girlfriend, trust me"

He pulled her towards him and smiled. "meri choti si doll wakei mein kafi bari hogayi hai in these three years, but there are few things she still needs to learn. Friendship is not just limited to the people we explicitly call friends. Friendship can be there in any relationship, and that's what we always seek. You were never my so called FRIEND, but then it was you I used to turn to whenever I felt low or upset. You made me understand things that my friends couldn't, you made me see things in a different light, you understood my Pain & fears and you never gave up on us. I am not comparing anyone here. Mukti, Dhruv, Cabir, Alya are all very very special to me. They are like my lifeline...but you Nandini, you are my heartbeat and without a heart, no one can survive."

She listened to him wide-eyed. No one could switch roles like him and rock at each one of them. From a over-concerned lover to a typical nok- jhok wala boyfriend to a Friend-philosopher and Guide, he was everything one could seek in a companion. And sometimes just having him by her side, made all the troubles in life worth fighting through.

"Ok then you are my bestest se upar wala friend, ok? And I can call my friend jabbhi I want."

"call matlab?"

"Like whenever I am bored /or angry with my boyfriend, I will call my friend and Manik the friend can never be angry on anyone so... happy me."

"Tum seriously single piece item ho."

"Yeh line to maine pehle bhi kanhi suni hai.."

They roamed around, sat down for a little while in between and then roamed around a little more. Evening had descended upon the hilly town and strokes of green were slowly changing shades from dark grey to black. It was time for them to return to their heavenly suite but they decided to have dinner first. Manik could have something mildly spicy, but he was still, strictly prohibited from having anything remotely sweet. This was just a one off that 'Nandu-the-friend' had allowed him, to celebrate friendship day. But the allowance had come with the mandatory disclaimer that Manik shouldn't take advantage of this friendship because his hawk-eyed girlfriend was keeping a close tab on him and it won't take her more than 10 seconds to transform back into the nasty nagging woman, Manik wasn't particularly fond of.

Generally when people are not hungry, they dilly dally about what to order. Our lady here was doing the same but to bug her cute boyfriend, who looked cuter when he was irritated. She made him explain the composition & taste of each and every drink listed in the fancy menu card as if Manik was an expert in bartending since birth. Finally when the boy could handle it no more, Nandini smilingly ordered some sort of a fruit punch.

Right then, someone from one of the neighbouring tables asked for a strong cocktail and in the hurry, the waitress jumbled up the two orders. Nandini got the cocktail and her harmless fruit punch landed on the other table and both, began sipping their respective drinks without a care in the world.

 Nandini got the cocktail and her harmless fruit punch landed on the other table  and both, began sipping their respective drinks without a care in the world